There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Communications

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications

Pros

It's a company that gives everyone an opportunity . It doesn't matter where you started from or where you come from, you would be given a chance to move up.

Cons

Things can move a little too slowly at times.

Let the technical guys have a say

reviews filtered by

The company lacks vision and total immersion in "Shaw Culture" leaves no room to examine best practices in the industry.

Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications

Pros

- Great benefit package
    - Active interest in community involvement
    - Good workforce diversity
    - Overall the company does encourage a good work/life balance for its employees

Cons

- At times, I felt I was not treated with respect and fairness within and outside my team. Superiority in terms of title and service dictated how one was treated.
    - Total lack of vision and foresight within the Treasury Department. Problems are solved using a "patchwork approach" without looking at issues/tasks holistically.
    - The company is light years away from having solid information management systems. The department I worked in had manual processes from start to finish. Everything was Excel based and the one system that existed was from the 1960's. This is an absolute joke for a company that has revenues in billions!! The attitude within the team was why do we need to introduce new technologies to streamline processes. The existing "manual time intensive inefficient processes" are a way to protect our jobs and ensure job security. This thought process was ingrained within my team and filtered through to my manager.
    - My immediate Manager was incompetent when it came to assessing employee job performance. She lacked integrity and never followed through on her actions. She also did not have the ability to delegate tasks and follow through in a timely manner.
    - Technological change was feared upon in my department rather than being embraced. This was partly because I worked with an older group of employees who felt threatened by new efficient processes.

- Think of streamlining some of the manual processes.
    - IT projects at Shaw take forever to launch. Please introduce some sense of purpose and urgency.
    - Focus on developing managers who truly engage employees and who are competent at completing performance reviews. Also managers need to learn to demonstrate Shaw's values and mission statement "on the job".
    - Feedback is key. I felt my manager did not engage in active constructive feedback.

2. Lack luster

Current Employee - Business Sales Consultant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Sales Consultant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications

Pros

opportunity for advancement is apparently good

Cons

there is limited opportunity for advancement unless you're prepared to move

walk the walk which you preach

There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Communications