great internship experience

Former Intern - Internet Engineering Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Former Intern - Internet Engineering Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

company assigned mentor helps intern a lot, good working environment.

Cons

mutual team management. restructure needed

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good Benefits but Bad Team Leads, Bad Managements, Bad Business Analysts, and Bad Team.

Current Employee - Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Shaw offers good salary and benefits but its people are not that good. I read those comments here before I joined Shaw. But now I believe those who rate Shaw for 2 stars.

Cons

Some people are lucky enough to be in a good team and good management. I, like many others, are not lucky enough in a good IT team. Team leads give special treatments to people they like. I have to make a tough decision to leave the company after joining Shaw for a while. There is favoritism does exist in Shaw. I always dreamed of working for Shaw but after joining the team for a while, I started to feel stressed, not valued, not respected, and not happy. But I stayed on because I liked the salary and benefits. Yes, I like the salgary and benefits, but working unhappily in a team like this, I am not sure how long I can last. Shaw proudly announces to be on the list of Canada Top 100 Employers. I think Shaw means good salgary and benefits. Also, Shaw has to pay and fill out the form to be on that Top Employer list. Shaw selects only those employees that give good feedbacks to the Top Employer survey company. So please don`t be fooled by those logo ``Canada Top 100 Employers`` There was one team member really good in what she did and was liked by everyone in the team, but she surprised the whole team and left for a company that has lower salary and benefits than Shaw. So that tells us something about this IT team. Actually, there aren`t that many opportunities to grow. Forgot to mention that, my IT team`s turn-over rate is really high. I questioned about that when I just joined, but I ignored that because I liked the salary and benefits to a point that I could not take this bad IT team any more. If you like the salgary and benefits and ignore your respects and happiness, this is the company to work for. There are times when salary and benefits are a little below Shaw`s, but you like the respect, value, and the places that you feel happy and belong to, then leave Shaw. Shaw is not the place to work. Shaw`s products are very expensive. They have to charge more to pay for all these bad employees.

Disappointed in Shaw Employee Experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (start immediately), very good discounts, good opportunity for someone fresh out of high school or for a college student wanting to make money in the evenings/weekend. Good if you're looking for a job (extra money) but not a career.

Cons

Very low pay, zero flexibillity in schedule, vacation, time off and micro managed with sick leave. In other words they do not walk the walk on the promise of work/life balance. You will be asked to have your doctor fill out a form ($50 cost) to explain why you are off sick when it is clear you are ill eventhough you have not exceeded your alloted annual sick days. Very demeaning environment with no diversity. Seems to be a hang out for high school friends. Very fraternity/sorority oriented. No encouragement from supervisors to see the majority of employees move up due to lack of maturity on their part. Inexperienced/ immature supervisors would rather hold grudges and abuse their power rather than learn and set examples as to why they deserve a position of power. Losing a lot of great talent in spite of themselves. Commission is slow and incorrect and no one in a hurry to fix the error (you're on your own). There is no way to reconcile your commission. You are paid what your paid with no incentive statement available. Processes are very slow and confused. Company does not offer safe, close or enough parking for employees. Work conditions are lacking.

Advice to Management

Don't hire mostly one demographic (kids), don't put all your trust with supervisors but offer all your employees other ways to solve issues and get advise thru other sources rather than just thru supervisors.