There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Communications

Feels like working for family

Current Employee - Program Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Program Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment and culture are great. Treating employees well is the foundation of this company and it shows in how people are treated.

Cons

There needs to be more thought put into what we do and why. Feel like sometimes the decisions are not done with long term impacts in mind.

Advice to Management

Before making decisions, spend some time doing analysis on what the cost benefit is for the long term. Also help break down some of the silo's between Large groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Shaw Communications

It's a very positive and caring company with great people.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people Great leaders Great continuing education and training Positive working environment Engaging events like BBQs, Christmas party, kids Christmas party, team building events

Cons

Too many outdated tools to learn and maintain Partially unionized which leads to lack of consistency Some company directions changes too quickly IT are not involved with the front line to building better tools

Advice to Management

Better communication is needed at all levels. Too many red tapes to get something changed.

2. Disappointing with common sense lacking.

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My biggest pro is freedom. My second biggest is I get paid correctly and on time.

Cons

-Lack of diverse corporate experience, i.e. many who work in Shaw started with Shaw. -Lack of real business experience. Company has no idea about what business customers need. -I get the distinct feeling that many are there to socialize and pick up their pay packet -Strange culture. I sometimes liken it to be in a parallel universe. -Lack of accountability. It's more like finger pointing and shifting blame rather that find a solution. -Career advancement is sketchy and depends on whether or not you've decided to drink the kool-aid. Qualified people (i.e. unpopular) do not seem to advance.

Advice to Management

Learn about what the word 'LEVERAGE' means in terms of human talent. Use it, know it, love it. Learn about what business processes are and how they help you, not hurt you. Understand fundamental cost/benefit analysis and the small details behind it. Manage the job postings like there are actual jobs, not like a stock ticker symbol. Get a better grasp on what people below you are doing. It seems like you all are in an ivory tower. The jeans don't automatically make you common. Find a similar US carrier that has had success in the business space and emulate that carrier. It will pay the company back in spades.