Shaw Group

www.shawgrp.com

Good Place

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist  in  New Rochelle, NY
Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in New Rochelle, NY

Pros

Every other Friday off which is good. Pretty good people and the hierarchy doesn't feel too exaggerated.

Cons

Feel like a number a lot of the times.

Other reviews for Shaw Group

Good pay, bad 401(k), Uncertain future

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Houston, TX

Pros

Worldwide opportunities if you are willing to travel.

They paid me very well right out of college and trusted me with quite a bit of responsibility pretty quickly. This made me feel like they recognized my talents, which is nice.

People are nice and most are good about answering any "stupid" questions I have from lack of experience.

There are some very qualified and experienced people that have been "headhunted" from other companies, but it gives the impression that jumping from company to company is the way to move up.

Cons

Like most large engineering/construction companies, you have to be on a Project to stay on board. For example, 80% of my office got laid off in the two years since we haven't won a project.

401(k) is very weak compared to similar companies. They only match 50 cents on the dollar and you have to work 5 years to get 100% vested

Company feels publicly owned and impersonable.

I would recommend that they be more informative about future opportunities and projects, but when you aren't winning any, keeping employees in the dark is the only way to keep them... for awhile.

Try to keep away from risky lump sum jobs as much as you can. Billable jobs are the safe way to go.

Great place to gain experience

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Charlotte, NC

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for job growth. The company is growing and a lot of the managers work hard to help you grow professionally.

Cons

The business seems to be very up and down and at times there is a good old boy mentality that can be frustrating.

Remember to always work hard to develop your younger staff and do not forget the senior staff who helped you get to the top.

There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Group.

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!