Shaw Group

www.shawgrp.com

Worst work experience, ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsI was able to escape to a better place with my dignity and professional reputation intact.

ConsThis place is a cesspool. Run from any job offers-do not believe anything you are told about opportunity, work-life balance, etc. Pay and benefits are abysmal - all this from a Fortune 500 company. The Shaw Group would make an excellent Harvard Business Review case study on how not to run an F500 company.

In the corporate office, senior management is only interested in lining pockets and typically doesn't understand the functions assigned (promotions are given on the basis of personal relationship rather than skill, knowledge or leadership ability...or how well-liked one is by the C-Suite. Not questioning the ethical or legal consequences of C-Suite whims and desires is a sure way to get promoted into the esteemed climes of Senior Management). HR is perhaps the most dysfunctional function in the entire company - absolutely no leadership, vision or knowledge of how a company (much less an F500 company) should manage human capital.

Hopefully the new ownership sees the company and lack of skilled workforce for what it is and cleans house.

If you are reading this as an employer considering hiring a Shaw employee, be careful if the candidate has been there for any length of time and considers themselves successful. Anyone who has built a career and climbed the ranks at Shaw has done so in a skullduggerous and vicious culture, and will likely not understand that such tactics typically don't bring success in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the top down (yes, the horrific culture started with the C Suite and is pervasive throughout the company, even down to the surly support staff), there is no leadership, that's the problem.

Top heavy organization with cliques and favorites

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good salaries, decent locations, some opportunities to work in the… Cons: Top-heavy organization, little opportunity to move up in the organization, cliques tend… Advice to Senior Management: The age (and experience) gap between management and engineer is vast. Look… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not the worst, but far from the best.

Automation Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pay is fair. Management in LA is non existent in… Cons: Benefits are somewhat below average. Health insurance is costly and… Advice to Senior Management: Bite the bullet and give benefits that are good enough… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Shaw Group.

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!