Shaw Industries

Buddy System

Current Employee - Credit Manager in Dalton, GA
Current Employee - Credit Manager in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries

Pros

The work life balance is great

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Turn over is extremely low.

Benefits Benefits Benefits

139 Other Employee Reviews for Shaw Industries (View Most Recent)

Fulfilling job that ended recently due to collapsed housing industry

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries

Pros

Great, smart, hard-working peers
    Immediate dept. managers VERY good at "life-work" balancing
    IT dept dedicated to staying in front of new technology as best as possible
    Mgmt encouraged autonomy

Cons

Every IT employee is sadly underpaid, esp. considering the deep pockets of Berk-Hathaway
    Dalton GA is a pigeon-hole for those in IT industry. It's Shaw or nothing for IT work. Or relocate to ATL.
    Mgmt lack-of-communication has employees looking over their shoulder. Sad- these nice people shouldn't have to be so paranoid all the time.
    Lack of a real "5 year plan" sort of outlook. Upper Mgmt Reactive, rather than Proactive.

Level with employees: We're adults - we can handle negative industry data that we're reading elsewhere anyway
    Have some long-term vision. Share with your employees.
    Hit up Mr. Buffett for raises for all IT members - they all deserve raises.
    Don't lie and tell them that the raise is postponed til end of year. That means this is a year without a raise...and adults aren't so dumb to not figure that out.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB you're already doing allowing employees remote work and life-work balancing. You've got a fantastic IT team - show them your appreciation with $$$, rather than cookouts.

I believe my experience thus far has been an enjoyable one, based on my previous experience at my previous employer.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries

Pros

I believe the longevity of the work force shows how people value Shaw as an employer. They are under the Berkshire Hathaway Company so there are deep pockets available if needed. The training available to all employees is impressive.

Cons

I listed it as a pro, but it is also a con with the longevity of the workforce. At times there is not a lot of opportunity for advancement with a work force that does not leave the company and also due to the economy where jobs have been reduced and where people aren't retiring. Another thing is the company at times gets stuck in the "Shaw" way, we've always done it this way why change.

There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Industries