There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Industries

Shaw is a good company and the best in their field, but....

Former Employee - Territory Manager
Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Shaw Industries

Pros

Good benefits, competitive compensation, good vacation. Freedom to make your own schedule, good quality product, adequate support staff, good bonus opportunities.

Cons

Quite frankly, a major problem that has developed at Shaw is one that I'm sure is not uncommon to that of most large corporations--- it matters little what type of relationship you have with your customer; what matters most is the relationship between you and your supervisor. Company politics and cronyism is rampant at Shaw and whose back you slap and elbow you rub determines your future. No one is promoted meritoriously. Promotions are determined by whose playpen you play in and there is little parity between territories. Another item of concern is apathy by the parent company to sales needs in the field, by support staff. Senior management feigns interest and are slow to react to competitive products and conditions in the field. Shaw has made some fundamental blunders in the past, including entering into the retail business a few years back, but the most certain blunder that will be recognized in years to come is their recent mass opting-out of as many as 70 experienced territory managers in December of 2009 and reorganizing (call it downsizing) by dissolving territories and regions, when the culling should have begun at the senior level and worked its way down. This has been propagated and signed off on by the management cadre mentioned above. This will prove to be an intrinsic error ---removing the faces that have worked hard to establish daily relationships with customers.

Make promotions and territory assignments meritorious by removing politics from the equation. You will get more accomplished and put the right people in the places they should be in. Place more emphasis on the voice of the customer positively and negatively. Establish a senior territory manager position with perks. Limit micromanagement, especially to veteran employees. Be proactive and not so reactive concerning competitive products.

reviews filtered by
  1. Working at Shaw Industries has been an excellent experience, I loved working at Shaw from beginning to end.

Current Intern - Service Desk Technician in Dalton, GA
    Current Intern - Service Desk Technician in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Shaw Industries as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great and comfortable environment, co-workers are excellent people to work with, able to work from home remotely some days of the week, company with large room for growth and they are very professional

Cons

I honestly do not have cons to mention about Shaw. The only I would change would be my home location since I have a long one hour drive.

Great job at all levels, keep the good work.

2. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Shaw Industries

Pros

The people really care about each other. Definite room for upward mobility. Great company values and work life balance

Cons

Demanding of your time. As a territory manager you have to be very organized, and you sometimes will feel pressure from above to complete tasks appropriately.

Be willing to listen more to people below you's opinions. We are the ones in the trenches day to day trying to get things rolling for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Shaw Industries