Shawnee Mission Medical Center

www.shawneemission.org
  www.shawneemission.org
There are newer employer reviews for Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Good people, bad management, adverage benefits

I have been working at Shawnee Mission Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoy working with some of my peers, patient interactions are generally positive.

Cons

Upper managment same as any other profit seeking entity, looking for cost cutting while raising prices for customers. Problem is, this means employees are paying more and more for benefits, all the while those benifits are paying out less. Employees are also increasingly not recieving raises, bonuses, or any other incentives to improve themselves and/or the organization.

I also have observed a great deal of infighting between departments, particuarly any department that needs to deal with the behavioral health department. This often went on without patients knowing, but still has an effect on the quality of care they recieve.

As mentioned by another reviewer, I have also noticed some extreamly negative attitudes from the older staff. These negative attitudes are often take out on coworkers, particuarly the younger or coworkers in different roles. Occasionally patients get the brunt of these negative attitudes, affecting their treatment and satisfaction.

This organization also seems obsessed with satisfaction scores, and while thatMHU typically only admits people able to police their own actions is all well on most units, this presents and issue for the behavioral health department. Part of our job is to set boundries, but this lowers our scores. Due to this staff often feel uncomfortable setting or enforcing boundries when it is necessary. Many staff fear neither direct nor upper managment will support any decision that makes a paying patient unhappy or uncomfortable.

Support your employees better when they have to make a call on the floor, provided the call fits in the guidlines of appropriate care for the unit the patient is on. Review the benefits, SMMC was once one of the best places to work due in part to it's benefits, now it's about adverage for an area hospital. Pass the hospital profits primarily onto the employees, this can be bonuses, raises, etc., this will help make for happier nurses and staff and improve your patient satifaction scores.

17 Other Employee Reviews for Shawnee Mission Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Merriam, KS

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Radiology department was full of very nice people who were willing to help you with anything you might need. The management was friendly and always seemed to really care about you and what you need.

Cons

Other employees would call in sick for work. Nothing was ever done to reprimand them. It felt as if being a loyal employee wasn't a prized quality.

Customer Service Specialist/Medical Records

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shawnee Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Shawnee Mission, KS

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are generally caring of their employees

Cons

Rehire practice is a hoax

I was laid off to due to staff cut back in March 2012. I have continued to apply for jobs through you all with the understanding that I had the rehire opportunity. What a crock of _________. I have not been rehired even though I worked for you for more than 6 years. I have increased my education to handle more things such as billing and coding and still no response.

There are newer employer reviews for Shawnee Mission Medical Center