good job

Current Employee - Legal Assistant
Current Employee - Legal Assistant

I have been working at Shearman & Sterling

Pros

good people, and good experience. this is a job to get right out of college to prepare for grad school or another career

Cons

tough hours, sometimes tough attorneys to work for. Salary is ok for the job. Sometimes you end up dealing with menial tasks

No real advice. The legal assistant program is run pretty well and I think it sort of runs on its own.

Other Reviews for Shearman & Sterling

Grueling

Former Employee - Summer Associate
    Former Employee - Summer Associate

I worked at Shearman & Sterling

Pros

Pay was great. The people there are quite capable. The attorneys really know what they're doing and they sometimes have time to help.

Cons

The hours are long. I was looking at 9:30-9 on a consistent basis, and often til 12 or 2. Expect 12 hour days to be a given. Weekends, kiss goodbye.

Partners want their profit. You're expendable. You'll pick that up immediately. You're made to feel like the only valid feeling is grateful you have a job. This in turn justifies the hours. I'd happily take a hit in pay if it meant less hours.

It was generally OK. Pay was fair.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Shearman & Sterling

Pros

The compensation was good. The deals were pretty high-profile. The co-workers were all very talented and friendly. The culture of the firm was very easy-going and relatively cohesive.

Cons

There wasn't much room for growth. Working in the position I did, it wasn't easy to increase my responsibilities or to really get a feel for what's going on inside the firm.

It would be nice if the employees had a better sense of where the firm's office is heading overall. It's easy to feel like you are not a stakeholder in the company at all.

There are newer employer reviews for Shearman & Sterling.

Worked for Shearman & Sterling? Contribute to the Community!