Shelby County School District

www.scsk12.org

Andrew Heller - Review of Hillcrest High School After Working as Math Teacher for 2 Months

Math Teacher (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsA lot of support for teachers to abide by the Core Standards of teaching as required by the State of Tennessee. Online training to improve teacher effectiveness is available and extensive. The administration wants their teachers and students to succeed.

ConsIt is very hard for new teachers to catch on to the rigor of what it takes to be a good teacher. For some teachers it may not be the right job for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the 'tougher' schools may need a second teacher or assistant in the classroom for the first 3 to 6 months to help maintain organization and classroom management. Thank you.

Middle School Teacher

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

I have been working at Shelby County School District full-time for more than a year

Pros: Decent salary, school hours, vacation time Cons: Disruptive, unruly children, irresponsible parents, bullying administrators, long hours grading and lesson planning outside of school and above all else (ensure your students make gains… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It's all in who you know...

Educator (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

I have been working at Shelby County School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Teacher salaries for Shelby County Schools are the highest in west Tennessee. Your experience… Cons: Salaries are frozen, work load is ridiculous, and the technology teachers have access to depends on the school. Leadership is awful, the school board… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the needs of your employees, follow through when you say you are only freezing salaries for one year, lower the pay… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Shelby County School District.

Worked for Shelby County School District? Contribute to the Community!