There are newer employer reviews for Shell

Work/Life Balance and Master of My Own Domain!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very refreshing to see a company with such a healthy attitude about work/life balance. For such a huge corporation, it doesn't feel like someone is hovering over me, asking WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY. I've been here a year and still amazed at how many times I'm thanked for just doing my job. I'm able to contact whoever I need to help me get my job done, without having to go through the chain of command In my position here I actually feel like I'm making a difference and a positive contribution to the company.

Cons

Working as a contractor with a 2 year limit. No degree, no conversion. :(

307 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Ethical Oil & Gas Company with high expectations for employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, capable co-workers, decent pay and benefits, 9/80 work week, large budget when working on projects as opposed to when working with smaller E&P's, company has integrity and prides themselves on doing things the right and legal way, stability of long-term work

Cons

Working environment and conditions are poor, not much time for a personal life when working here because of the unrealistic work-life balance expectations, buildings at Woodcreek campus are in very poor shape and working conditions are over-crowded, often 2-4 people in small offices or cubicles--or just a table with 4 workstations set up, no room for personal belongings or maps (personal space is a luxury that you won't get at Shell), scarce parking, no team building activities or even a holiday party, expect strict business acumen and high stress.

Engage with employees more in a human way, try not to foster such a workaholic environment (by sending emails to staff late at night and on weekends, have more social activities for employees to loosen up occasionally, show more appreciation for employees' diligent efforts, work is work but Shell could use more fun activities like the last company I worked for had (I miss the camaraderie and where people treat each other well). Please stop fostering the idea that contractors should be treated like second-class citizens. Stop cramming people into tight spaces and making employees/contractors work in musty, mildewed offices.

Good benefits, opportunities to work all over the world

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, the benefits are good. They are not the best in the industry, but they do still have a pension plan. 401k match is ok, not great, for the first few years of your career here. 9/80s are good, as is vacation which helps with work/life balance. Many opportunities to work all over the world. Safety is important here.

Cons

It is a large company so it is difficult to learn all of the ins/outs. Takes forever to get responses from IT and HR. It is difficult to push management to try different approaches and ideas (i.e. it's the Shell Way only).

There are newer employer reviews for Shell