Shell

www.shell.us
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Shell

Joining Shell was a great decision, and my only regrets are not taking advantage of all that was offered.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shell is committed to Diversity and Inclusion, and I have enjoyed and appreciated the freedom to bring my "whole" self to work everyday, focus on my job and not on maintaining a "cover story". That takes up a lot of energy and feels so disingenuous, relationships with coworkers and teamwork suffer. The opportunities available at this company are amazing, as are the people.

Cons

Probably the same complaints that most large companies have...too many policies, procedures, and processes intended to streamline and simplify, but often having the opposite effect...or so it seems when you are the one trying to get the task done. Working globally is a challenge...very early or late teleconferences at times, but that also goes towards the pro side on the work flexibility aspect. Working from home, flex work schedules, etc... Big plus.

I sure have seen a lot of people retiring the last few years...some of them were forced into it by reorgs and outsourcing and others are just aging out. What is the average age at Shell? Are we going to have the staff we need in 5, 10, or 15 years with the right training and skills? I hope Mgmt isn't thinking they can just pluck these people off the street a dime a dozen or contract everything out.

363 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Engineering internship opened a lot of doors for me

Former Intern - Intern IV in Mobile, AL
    Former Intern - Intern IV in Mobile, AL

I worked at Shell as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay for interns is fantastic. Overall Shell spends a lot of resources on their internship program. Working for a world class company like Shell carries a lot of weight with other employers. Internship projects tend to be challenging. Exposure to the oil and gas industry.

Cons

Kind of sink or swim mentality. Most people are way to busy to help out. Much of the evaluation for getting a full-time job really isn't relevant to the actual work you actually do (CART). Can get stuck in an undesirable location where there isn't much to do or other interns (Mobile, AL). Long hours.

The internship program is highly centralized (it's all run from Houston), but the positions are spread across the country. Those conflict too much; it's time to choose one or the other. I also got the sense that the people I was working with didn't really want an intern and that HR had sort of forced one on them. That obviously is going to make it less likely for their to be a positive experience for both employer and employee. Also at the end of the internship, no feedback is really given. You either get a job or you don't. People can only guess what they did well and what they didn't without it. I know HR is very fond of giving as little information out to job candidates as possible out of fear of being sued, but people deserve better than that.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Plenty of opportunities of learn and network

Cons

In the design offices, work could sometimes be monotonous.

There are newer employer reviews for Shell