Shell

www.shell.us
  www.shell.us
There are newer employer reviews for Shell

Joining Shell was a great decision, and my only regrets are not taking advantage of all that was offered.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shell is committed to Diversity and Inclusion, and I have enjoyed and appreciated the freedom to bring my "whole" self to work everyday, focus on my job and not on maintaining a "cover story". That takes up a lot of energy and feels so disingenuous, relationships with coworkers and teamwork suffer. The opportunities available at this company are amazing, as are the people.

Cons

Probably the same complaints that most large companies have...too many policies, procedures, and processes intended to streamline and simplify, but often having the opposite effect...or so it seems when you are the one trying to get the task done. Working globally is a challenge...very early or late teleconferences at times, but that also goes towards the pro side on the work flexibility aspect. Working from home, flex work schedules, etc... Big plus.

I sure have seen a lot of people retiring the last few years...some of them were forced into it by reorgs and outsourcing and others are just aging out. What is the average age at Shell? Are we going to have the staff we need in 5, 10, or 15 years with the right training and skills? I hope Mgmt isn't thinking they can just pluck these people off the street a dime a dozen or contract everything out.

322 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Work/Life Balance and Master of My Own Domain!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very refreshing to see a company with such a healthy attitude about work/life balance. For such a huge corporation, it doesn't feel like someone is hovering over me, asking WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY. I've been here a year and still amazed at how many times I'm thanked for just doing my job. I'm able to contact whoever I need to help me get my job done, without having to go through the chain of command In my position here I actually feel like I'm making a difference and a positive contribution to the company.

Cons

Working as a contractor with a 2 year limit. No degree, no conversion. :(

Ethical Oil & Gas Company with high expectations for employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, capable co-workers, decent pay and benefits, 9/80 work week, large budget when working on projects as opposed to when working with smaller E&P's, company has integrity and prides themselves on doing things the right and legal way, stability of long-term work

Cons

Working environment and conditions are poor, not much time for a personal life when working here because of the unrealistic work-life balance expectations, buildings at Woodcreek campus are in very poor shape and working conditions are over-crowded, often 2-4 people in small offices or cubicles--or just a table with 4 workstations set up, no room for personal belongings or maps (personal space is a luxury that you won't get at Shell), scarce parking, no team building activities or even a holiday party, expect strict business acumen and high stress.

Engage with employees more in a human way, try not to foster such a workaholic environment (by sending emails to staff late at night and on weekends, have more social activities for employees to loosen up occasionally, show more appreciation for employees' diligent efforts, work is work but Shell could use more fun activities like the last company I worked for had (I miss the camaraderie and where people treat each other well). Please stop fostering the idea that contractors should be treated like second-class citizens. Stop cramming people into tight spaces and making employees/contractors work in musty, mildewed offices.

There are newer employer reviews for Shell