There are newer employer reviews for Shell

Shell Pipeline contractor review

Current Employee - I T Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - I T Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Knowledgeable people, good culture, easy to work with others.

Cons

As a contractor, little or no opportunity to convert to an employee. Antiquated processes with newer technology makes for a strange mix. Hesitancy to adopt new processes and technical solutions. I.T. difficult to work with and navigate towards a solution.

For technology, work closely with upstream for best practices and tools.

307 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Practice saying "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shell offers high compensation through salary, bonus, 401k contribution, and pension. Lots of money to throw at projects.

Cons

1. Top down management style. Dissenting voices dismissed. Groupthink. I am embarrassed that at this point in my career I often let bad ideas continue unchallenged if they have been previously "assured."

2. Open office plan (2013) will reduce effectiveness.

3. Understaffed. Poor work life balance.

Make someone accountable for bad decisions. Pick an asset that is not profitable and look at every decision that was made all the way back to acquisition. Limit the granularity of Shell People Survey results to groups of 100 instead of 10--from the safety of true anonymity you will get to hear what your employees really think.

A company of talented amateurs

Former Employee - Staff Geophysicist in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Staff Geophysicist in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work in a high-tech environment with exposure to emerging technologies, social issues, and multiple cultures.

Cons

More of an investment bank than an oil company. Science and engineering are subordinated to financial wants. Training focussed on developing those who want to be a polished, powdered courtiers. Innovation and creative thinking encouraged so long as it conforms to a global standard that everyone agrees on, and fits within the bureaucracy. Recruit,recognize and promotes attractive,clever and tractable people. Actively discourages passionate, focussed problem solvers.

A company of grifters. Careers advance on promises. Encourages "kicking the can down the road" for difficult problems, passing them on to successors. Do enough to buy time before transferring elsewhere. The individuals responsible for developing new technology are also in a position to enforce its use as a gatekeeper for projects. Middle managers
    are unprepared to execute projects and make the bureaucracy work at the same time. The focus on cleverness and tractability implies a lack of integrity. The pattern of making big promises, then "manage expectations" permeates the organization. The company recognizes the brokering of information and technology rather than its development.

There are newer employer reviews for Shell