www.shell.us

Good place to work

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA
Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Great company, a lot of opportunity to work on developing projects. Although, it all depends on your specialization, some have more opportunity than others. Shell tries to make their employees feel at home in their job environment. Sense of family/togetherness compared to other companies like Exxon.

Cons

Some the upper level management personnel seem to avoid communicating at times. Then again, the engineering profession hasn't been known for its socialites.

Learn how to talk.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Shell (View Most Recent)

Great culture, awesome development opportunities, and overall a fun place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Company culture facilitates employee engagement, assignments keep you challenged and interested at work, your able to see how you directly add value to the business, your given opportunities to learn and grow along with a formal development process, and your surrounded by people who are smart, open, and willing to help.

Cons

In such a global company at times it's easy to feel the sting of bureaucratic policies from centralized functions such as finance and policy.

I would say continuing to be very transparent through these economic hard times will continue to be an advantage at Shell. Despite cost cutting, and organizational changes, they have been fairly transparent, and I think that is what is keeping employees engaged.

Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell

Pros

Flexible hours and relaxed workplace. Work-life balance is easy to achieve. Individual employees are for the most part pleasant to work with.

Cons

Disorganized
    Poor communication to employees
    Complex organizational structure
    I felt as though I was not well matched to my project and not given the tools to succeed. Adequate training for complex tasks was not provided.

Streamline corporate structure, standardize procedures, act like you care about input from employees.

Lastly learn from outgoing employees, my exit interview left me with the impression that no one cared why I was going and nothing would be done to keep people like me.

There are newer employer reviews for Shell