Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Working at Sherwin-Williams gives me mixed feelings about career.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Sherwin-Williams offers good opportunities for entry level employers in the management field. You get to manage on a very personal level since each store typically has only several employees. SW also is very good at teaching you about all you need to know about the paint industry. It is also fairly easy to get off the time you need, so long as you get your request in with enough time. Finally, SW offers excellent benefits and a 401k plan which is very reasonable.

Cons

Despite what I was told during recruiting, it is a long process in getting promotions within the company. I have been with SW now for nearly 3 years and within the whole district there have only been a handful of Manager or Sales Rep job openings in which I could have applied for. I applied and interviewed for two manager jobs and one rep job. All of the potential promotions were also targeted by many other people who were both in and out of the district. Needless to say, I was not given the promotions and was told different reasons why I didn't get the job for each by my District Manager. Basically, there are not that many job openings in a given year, and the ones that are, have many people applying for it. One other thing about SW that bugs me is that during recruiting I was told that the management team was able to run their store pretty much the way they want to. "It is almost like running your own business." Is what the recruit told me. That statement could not be further from the truth. SW has many rules and regulations passed down from the corporate headquarters. Basic pay, store hours, inventory, selling events, pricing, margins, and several others business aspects are all pretty much controlled by SW corporate or district. The main thing that bugs me is SW charges the stores 1% all the inventory they have at the end of each month. This expense affects how your yearly numbers turn out. Also, there is a major push by the District to keep inventory low. However, frequently the stores are forced to take overstock items from the main distribution center. No matter what the products are, the stores have to take these direct shipments, which most of the time are products that do not sell very well and the stores are stuck with them hitting their inventory numbers for months.

Promotions should go to the best applicant, not the one with the most tenure.

935 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

America's Paint Company; Join us and take Charge of Your Career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

I love working at Sherwin Williams because the career path is open to all within the company based on performance, and not necessarily Degree's attained. One can work in many areas of the company once onboard. For example, after completing the basic training in the Stores group, jobs in Accounting, IT, Chemistry, Human Resources, Marketing, or stay within the stores, and become Assistant Manager, and Manager of a multi-million dollar operation. District Level management opportunities abound for those geared toward Operational efficiency, Human Resource Management, and employee development. Sales management opportunities abound for those who are sales goal oriented, have developed good communication skills with customers, and those that can teach these skills effectively to their sales Representatives.

Cons

I would say that most of the employees who become dissatisfied with the company fall into two groups; Those that try to climb the ladder too fast and have not developed the skill sets necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position they applied for, they become too overwhelmed and do not see the benefit of listening to themselves and guiding themselves to the next step when they are truly ready. The other group of employees who get disillusioned with our company are those that plant themselves in positions that do not suit their particular skill sets and become fearful to switch positions.

In these times of economic downturn, when we look at cost cutting; within the stores group; lets see if we can keep our store personnel intact, and not cut those crucial part time hours that are needed to keep our service level up. There are plenty of support positions that could be re-assigned to positions that directly support sales growth.

TRYING TIMES WILL BRING OUT THE BEST OR WORST IN PEOPLE IF YOU ARE THE BEST APPLY WITHIN.....

Current Employee - INDEPENDENT DEALER CUSTOMER SERVICE Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

We at Sherwin are a family, a very big one! This company doesn't treat you simply as an employee but as much much more then then that. They/we treat each other as people. The benefits packages offered are by far better then other large companies I have worked for in the past. The career advancement possibilities are endless and limitless (I'm next in line for CEO, just kidding.) There is support available to you at any time to discuss your career path or research a new one. Because we are such a diverse international company the sky is the limit on opportunities. We grow stronger together.

Cons

Well as we all know we are entering a recession, mainly due to the housing markets being in the dumps, but Sherwin Williams as in other coating company's have been hit hard by this. Times are tough for all coating manufactures and they may continue to get worse before they get better. Back to topic it is becoming more difficult for people to come into our company right now, and I know there are those out there who are worried about loosing their jobs but we will survive and continue to prosper.

Actually not much they are doing everything they can right now to help those under them pull though by sticking together.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams