There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Working at Sherwin-Williams gives me mixed feelings about career.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Sherwin-Williams offers good opportunities for entry level employers in the management field. You get to manage on a very personal level since each store typically has only several employees. SW also is very good at teaching you about all you need to know about the paint industry. It is also fairly easy to get off the time you need, so long as you get your request in with enough time. Finally, SW offers excellent benefits and a 401k plan which is very reasonable.

Cons

Despite what I was told during recruiting, it is a long process in getting promotions within the company. I have been with SW now for nearly 3 years and within the whole district there have only been a handful of Manager or Sales Rep job openings in which I could have applied for. I applied and interviewed for two manager jobs and one rep job. All of the potential promotions were also targeted by many other people who were both in and out of the district. Needless to say, I was not given the promotions and was told different reasons why I didn't get the job for each by my District Manager. Basically, there are not that many job openings in a given year, and the ones that are, have many people applying for it. One other thing about SW that bugs me is that during recruiting I was told that the management team was able to run their store pretty much the way they want to. "It is almost like running your own business." Is what the recruit told me. That statement could not be further from the truth. SW has many rules and regulations passed down from the corporate headquarters. Basic pay, store hours, inventory, selling events, pricing, margins, and several others business aspects are all pretty much controlled by SW corporate or district. The main thing that bugs me is SW charges the stores 1% all the inventory they have at the end of each month. This expense affects how your yearly numbers turn out. Also, there is a major push by the District to keep inventory low. However, frequently the stores are forced to take overstock items from the main distribution center. No matter what the products are, the stores have to take these direct shipments, which most of the time are products that do not sell very well and the stores are stuck with them hitting their inventory numbers for months.

Promotions should go to the best applicant, not the one with the most tenure.

794 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Solid reliable pay & benefits but not very challenging

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Good benefits reasonable salary & security

Cons

Working short staffed, long hours. Does not require much mental effort

Provide better staffing ratios and materials handling equipment

Great company with enough diversity that can withstand an economic recession.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Silverdale, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Silverdale, WA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

The benefits that SW provides is the best in the industry. For 6% of your salary a year SW will match 6% on 401k and 6% into your pension fund. SW is all over the world, there are endless opportunities to travel and move to another part of the country if you so desire. You can support a store as a PT, FT, Asst Manager, Manager, Outside Sales Rep, Tech Rep, or If you don't want to work in a store you can work internal support. Accounting, Insides Sales, Labs, New Product Development, Testing, Color Resources, Computer Tech, Auditors, etc. We are diverse and will maintain in a economy that has seen better days. The bonus plans for store management is excellent if you can have a good year. If you work your tail off you can get compensated for all the hard work.

Cons

Base pay is lower then some paint companies. Getting some things done through corporate america can be a pain.

Always remember that the stores group is the backbone of your company

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!