Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com

Life getting harder at the store level

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Sherwin Williams has a lot of great employees that you become friends with as well as colleages. A leader in innovation in the industry. Stock price is going up, 401k matched up to 6% for now. Good benefits and pay overall. I also enjoy working with most of the contractors as well.

Cons

Hours are getting longer for store employees. Since October 2010, the paint stores have extended hours to be open 14 hours more a week with little or no help to cover these hours and the same expectations on managing overtime down to as close to 0 as possible. Also, holiday hours are longer as well for store employees. Not for upper and middle management, or credit offices, or anyone in corporate. They have implemented a new delivery hub system, taking vans from individual stores and putting 3-5 vans at a "hub store". We have no guarantees on when paint can be delivered to a job unless we use our personal vehicles. Worst of all: THE BUDGETS. You can have a great year with huge jobs that you won over a competitor and get lots of pats on the back for a job well done. The next year? They expect that, plus around 17% more. If you don't hit it, you get treated like you suck at your job. Evidence? Almost my entire district got a "4" (needs improvement) on their evalutations. Did Chris Conners and John Morikis get 4's with no pay raise? Not according to the annual statements.

Come work in the stores M-F 7-7, Sat 8-6, Sun 10-6 for a month. With 1 ASM and 1 PT employee. Remember no overtime unless previously approved in writing. I think you can figure out my advice from that. More hours with no more pay? "Embrace the change"? Yeah, buddy, I'm embracing it really well.

Other reviews for Sherwin-Williams

The Winds of Change

Current Employee - PC Sales Representative
    Current Employee - PC Sales Representative

Pros

-The BEST people to work with. Store managers down the the HUB drivers.
    -Decent salary. Excellent benefits. When bonus is achieved, it is lucrative.
    -Opportunities for advancement are available. More so than with our competitors.
    -The best products, the best services, and the best total package to offer any market and any customer in our industry. Our competitors don't come close to what we can offer in terms of service and products.

Cons

-Division Management. It feels like they have forgotten who their biggest asset is. Their EMPLOYEES.
    -District Management. No backbone to corporate demands, they have become the Yes Men of upper management, and have rolled over on their fight to demonstrate what is really needed to grow sales in our district.
    -WAY to many sales initiatives/quotas. Too distracting from what needs to take place in our stores/territories, and far too short sighted of the big picture, which is to capture market share.
    -Advancement of people from outside of district areas into our market in order to grow and develop market share in an area they know nothing about, know nothing about our competitor, and know absolutely nothing about our customers. AND do it in the manner of a bull in a china shop, just to make a name for themselves. Really? Like that has ever been effective.

You need to be reminded that your employees are your biggest and most valuable asset. The general morale of your teams are low, and looking at other reviews, it certainly isn't just in my district. I am a long time employee, and hope to continue my career with the company until retirement. But I must say, lately this has felt like a job as opposed to another day of doing what I loved to do. And that makes me quite sad. The need to grow numbers by micromanaging, overdemanding, and/or overwhelming employees is not how most people achieve results. It only grows high turn over, frustration, anger, and eventually a bad reputation. I am familiar with our competition doing this with their employees, and was happy and quite relieved to be part of an organization that treated us differently. Now...the winds of change have happened. If you are management, and you are reading this, please take the moment to take an honest look at the morale of your team, and the effectiveness they have had in their stores/territories. And if it means anything to you, I hope you effect a wind of change. Their happiness will bring longevity. Longevity will bring you success. And success will bring you the numbers you are looking for. The success we ALL are looking for.

Over worked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Decent pay.
    Great benefits.
    Always learning.
    Fast paced work environment.
    Good fellow employees.

Cons

Lean. I constantly hear the question from customers, "Are you really the ONLY one here?" Management is expected to schedule very sparingly, but in turn, customer service takes a huge hit. As an assistant manager, I am expected to close pretty much every night. My manager is micro managed, so there for finds it okay to micro manage her own employees. A lot of your happiness with this company will depend on the store you are placed in.
    Morale is extremely low. Focus has switched from caring about their employees, to SALES SALES SALES. Upper management takes the stance that you are a commodity. You can easily be replaced. Veterans in the company are being edged out to be replaced by young college kids who will burn out within 2-3 years.

CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEIR CONCERNS. START TO ACT LIKE HUMAN BEINGS. SYMPATHIZE WITH YOUR FELLOW MAN.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!