Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com
  www.sherwin-williams.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Life getting harder at the store level

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sherwin Williams has a lot of great employees that you become friends with as well as colleages. A leader in innovation in the industry. Stock price is going up, 401k matched up to 6% for now. Good benefits and pay overall. I also enjoy working with most of the contractors as well.

Cons

Hours are getting longer for store employees. Since October 2010, the paint stores have extended hours to be open 14 hours more a week with little or no help to cover these hours and the same expectations on managing overtime down to as close to 0 as possible. Also, holiday hours are longer as well for store employees. Not for upper and middle management, or credit offices, or anyone in corporate. They have implemented a new delivery hub system, taking vans from individual stores and putting 3-5 vans at a "hub store". We have no guarantees on when paint can be delivered to a job unless we use our personal vehicles. Worst of all: THE BUDGETS. You can have a great year with huge jobs that you won over a competitor and get lots of pats on the back for a job well done. The next year? They expect that, plus around 17% more. If you don't hit it, you get treated like you suck at your job. Evidence? Almost my entire district got a "4" (needs improvement) on their evalutations. Did Chris Conners and John Morikis get 4's with no pay raise? Not according to the annual statements.

Come work in the stores M-F 7-7, Sat 8-6, Sun 10-6 for a month. With 1 ASM and 1 PT employee. Remember no overtime unless previously approved in writing. I think you can figure out my advice from that. More hours with no more pay? "Embrace the change"? Yeah, buddy, I'm embracing it really well.

885 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Over worked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay.
    Great benefits.
    Always learning.
    Fast paced work environment.
    Good fellow employees.

Cons

Lean. I constantly hear the question from customers, "Are you really the ONLY one here?" Management is expected to schedule very sparingly, but in turn, customer service takes a huge hit. As an assistant manager, I am expected to close pretty much every night. My manager is micro managed, so there for finds it okay to micro manage her own employees. A lot of your happiness with this company will depend on the store you are placed in.
    Morale is extremely low. Focus has switched from caring about their employees, to SALES SALES SALES. Upper management takes the stance that you are a commodity. You can easily be replaced. Veterans in the company are being edged out to be replaced by young college kids who will burn out within 2-3 years.

CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEIR CONCERNS. START TO ACT LIKE HUMAN BEINGS. SYMPATHIZE WITH YOUR FELLOW MAN.

Average Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are in a good store with good quality people it can be a fun place to work. Their is a wide variety of work and it's varied enough to stay interesting. Many of the regulars or contractors are good people and great to build a relationship with.

Cons

The work culture was very dependent upon what store you were in. I chose not to enter the Management Training program because the pressure to grow sales was not balanced with a supportive management or price points that could bring success. It seemed like the successful reps and market managers were the ones willing to bend the rules or cut corners. Not something I wanted to make a career out of.
    - Retail hours with retail pay.

Don't run your stores so lean and don't rely on never ending sales and outrageous goals to drive your product.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams