There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Life getting harder at the store level

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sherwin Williams has a lot of great employees that you become friends with as well as colleages. A leader in innovation in the industry. Stock price is going up, 401k matched up to 6% for now. Good benefits and pay overall. I also enjoy working with most of the contractors as well.

Cons

Hours are getting longer for store employees. Since October 2010, the paint stores have extended hours to be open 14 hours more a week with little or no help to cover these hours and the same expectations on managing overtime down to as close to 0 as possible. Also, holiday hours are longer as well for store employees. Not for upper and middle management, or credit offices, or anyone in corporate. They have implemented a new delivery hub system, taking vans from individual stores and putting 3-5 vans at a "hub store". We have no guarantees on when paint can be delivered to a job unless we use our personal vehicles. Worst of all: THE BUDGETS. You can have a great year with huge jobs that you won over a competitor and get lots of pats on the back for a job well done. The next year? They expect that, plus around 17% more. If you don't hit it, you get treated like you suck at your job. Evidence? Almost my entire district got a "4" (needs improvement) on their evalutations. Did Chris Conners and John Morikis get 4's with no pay raise? Not according to the annual statements.

Advice to Management

Come work in the stores M-F 7-7, Sat 8-6, Sun 10-6 for a month. With 1 ASM and 1 PT employee. Remember no overtime unless previously approved in writing. I think you can figure out my advice from that. More hours with no more pay? "Embrace the change"? Yeah, buddy, I'm embracing it really well.

Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Over worked and under appreciated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Great benefits. Always learning. Fast paced work environment. Good fellow employees.

Cons

Lean. I constantly hear the question from customers, "Are you really the ONLY one here?" Management is expected to schedule very sparingly, but in turn, customer service takes a huge hit. As an assistant manager, I am expected to close pretty much every night. My manager is micro managed, so there for finds it okay to micro manage her own employees. A lot of your happiness with this company will depend on the store you are placed in. Morale is extremely low. Focus has switched from caring about their employees, to SALES SALES SALES. Upper management takes the stance that you are a commodity. You can easily be replaced. Veterans in the company are being edged out to be replaced by young college kids who will burn out within 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEIR CONCERNS. START TO ACT LIKE HUMAN BEINGS. SYMPATHIZE WITH YOUR FELLOW MAN.

2. OK place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

-developed great relationships with employees and contractors throughout the years

Cons

-lack of management training/too concerned about sales, sales, sales!! -district management can play 'favorites' when it comes to promotions -too many programs -way too many 'boxes' to check -won't let employees in the stores just sell paint, too many programs and sales drives to do that are not necessary at the time -pricing themselves out of the market

Advice to Management

get in touch with what is going on in the stores and get the prices of paint more in line