There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Time Management is Critical

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Steady Work. Company hasn't laid off employees, even during the economic down turn. Good experience in learning the operations of managing a business. You get what you put into it. Spanish speaking skills is a big boost for greater potential business. Many resources to improve your knowledge on executing different tasks.

Cons

Cut-Throat business to work in as it is all about price margins with the competition if you want a painter's business. You have many administrative duties that have to be done regardless how busy it can get, if not - you're staying after hours to do so. If a management trainee, you have to go to an assigned store at the end of training (2-3 months) - myself and the previous 2 trainees have been assigned 75 miles away from our home area. You're told it can happen, but you always hope it won't be you.

Advice to Management

Train store managers to help new assistant managers to learn their new duties to their newly assigned stores to be manageable. Being told to "figure it out" when you obviously don't have time or energy to learn the hard way is not an efficient or an effective way to lead or build good morale for managing employees.

reviews filtered by

Not the great place to work that it once was.

Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great co-workers.
    Good retirement and benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic goals.
    Micro Management.
    Out of touch upper management.
    Seal Island, which is absurd.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. I did enjoy my employment with this company for the first 10 years. The last 6 have seemed to lack luster. Sadly I would have missed an opportunity in meeting some genuinely great people to work with but, I would likely have chosen another career path.

What happened to the Sherwin Williams we all used to know ??

Current Employee - PC Sales Representative in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - PC Sales Representative in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits, Great co-workers, Good customers

Cons

Employee moral at all time low since I have been with the company. District Management micro-manages Reps and Managers to death. We spend more time filling out reports for management than servicing our customers. Area Management has unrealistic goals and expectations. Division is no better. If your looking for stress and big brother then your at the right company.

Advice to Management

Please let your employees think for themselves. That is what made this company great. Stop treating us like sheep. We do not need to be heared. Motivate not Intimidate. Embrace this change or you will lose your best and brightest. Take a big knitting needle and pop your swell heads.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams