Sherwin-Williams

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

In a nutshell

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Stores not open as late as many other retail outlets. If you do not like sitting in a cubicle all day, then this may be appealing to you.

Cons

Stores are severly understaffed. The workload is 2x what it was 10 years ago with half as many employees. Unrealistic expectations. EVERY level of managements seems like they are only concerned about themselves and their agenda, and not listening to what is really going on. This is the real defiinition of a "leaner and more agile" Company.

Sherwin Williams has been around for a long time. So long, in fact, that upper management has become set in their ways and resistant to wholesale change, which is what is needed. Hire LESS middle management and get more employees on the floors selling. In fact, the company needs to consider eliminating a level of management. I'm sure that back in the 60s and 70s DMs needed to report to an entity closer than the VPs in Divisions. That time has passed. We have video conferencing, cell phones, email, and other tools made available 10+ years ago to better keep in touch. We have larger Metro Districts. I believe our esteemed Division VPs can handle direct reports from Metro Dms. This may put just a little cash back on the bottom line, allow good FULL TIME store personel to be hired, and possiblly push back that next ridiculous 7% price increase another year.

Encourage managers and reps to speak out with ideas, not beat them down with programs that do very little to foster real longterm business growth. Lurking in the competitions parking lot looking for prospects does not seem like it quite measures up to SWP's moral and ethical guidelines. We would not let our competition sit in our parking lot and poach. Guess "do unto others...." is passe now, too... I think we are better than that, and should act like it. Stop this absurd micromanagement. Have faith that the millions of dollars the company has invested in training for managers and reps might actually teach them something... LIKE HOW TO SELL AND DO THEIR JOBS!!!

If you are going to open stores longer and stretch hours, fine, so be it. But understand what it does to the store. We are supposed to do this with the same number of planned hours. No overtime. No over 32 for PT. Either the manager works 55+ hours a week, or the store is stretched very thin on staff and service suffers. What is being implied here is "it must get done", so the manager is getting the hours. Pay managers for the overtime or adjust salaries to reflect a 55 hour workweek. 10% raise would work. Fair is fair. DM's, CMs, reps, corporate, and credit do NOT work on holidays. So at the very least, lets compensate those that do. After all, stores are the backbone of the company, right?

And to finish....Thank your people. Very simple, yet goes undone. The words "thank you" at a district meeting or sales convention are obligatory. But that does not do it. Thanks comes from the heart, not because the back side of your P+L looks good. Reward ALL employees - Holiday Party, Fourth of July luncheon, golf, bowling, anything. Remember that most stores are doing a lot more with a lot less and it stresses everyone, especially when there is little praise. Here's one - the definition of "annoyed" is: Your boss coming in and saying "OK sales and margins are up.....but you only logged 1 call and your binder is not completed. You need to do better." Yea, OK, me and what staff??? Seriously??? Enough said....

Sherwin Williams still is a good place to work. But it used to be a great place to work, with a little fun thrown in. Fix it. Not hard really, just remember what it felt like when you ran a store or were a rep. And make the choice that shows that a multi-billion dollar company still cares about its employees.

879 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for with advancement oppurtunites

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having worked for the company as a sales associate for over a year now, while going to school, the managers were very flexible with my schedule and allowed me to learn and grow more and more each day. I have finally made a decision to stay with the company and hope for many future oppurtunites.

Cons

As a female working for the company, with not alot of muscle strength one downside is all the lifting and carrying you have to do on a daily basis.

Great Benefits. Much better pay than you would expect!!!!

Current Employee - Financial Associate in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Associate in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Competitive Pay, Vacation time does not have to be accrued thru the year. Many different paths available for career growth.

Cons

It is possible to begin to feel like you have hit a wall in career advancement. There are several people that can do your job for less money so, sometimes, you find yourself accepting conditions out of fear that you could be easily replaced.

Adding employees in the stores and corporate offices allows employees to be their most productive.

Women aren't the only minority group that needs to be addressed!

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams