There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Intern - IT

Former Employee - IT Intern in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - IT Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

It's nice to be able to gain experience utilizing the tools I was exposed to. It is a great resume builder.

Cons

The management was very unkind and VERY into themselves.

When you work in any department in Sherwin-Williams you ARE the label on your "SW-White Pages".
90% of people treat you and others according to your job title.

SW also brainwashes you into thinking you are with the best company in Northeast Ohio. They tell you this is the best place to work and no other comapny compares. Well, after declining their job offer and accepting another, AND working full-time in previous jobs, it's safe to say they are NOT the best company to work for in NE Ohio.

........Did you hear that? Didn't think so...you need to LISTEN to what your employees voice to you and stop favoring your friend. I DO NOT care about going to lunch with higher level management. My time is better spent LEARNING not blowing smoke up someones #$%%.

839 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Good old boys

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its hard to get fired

Cons

There is so much gossip, and back stabbing going on that it becomes distracting. The people there all act like big shots, but all they are doing is tinting paint. Most of the managers have substance abuse problems, and even use at work. They don't drug test. There is a lot of heavy lifting, and it's easy to get injured badly. You have to deal with painters, who most of the time are retarded, and think that you are their secretary. Its easy to start feeling like you are working at a dead end job. Your not aloud to listen to music. You have to hear a blue shirt with your name on it everyday. You get little to zero feedback on your job performance. You only get promoted if you are a favorite or you have waited for a very long time. Over all the job is pretty mindless, but its very physically demanding, so it is easy to burn out. It is the same thing over and over again. If you are a female the males do not seem to know how to treat you, so it feels weird. They act uncomfortable that you are around, or they treat you like you cannot do the job. They are pretty much female haters. It's very old school like it's 1920 again. And it's almost embarrassing to tell people what you do for work. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Stop having HR write good job reviews on websites like this one. Its really obvious, and real pathetic.

In a nutshell

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Stores not open as late as many other retail outlets. If you do not like sitting in a cubicle all day, then this may be appealing to you.

Cons

Stores are severly understaffed. The workload is 2x what it was 10 years ago with half as many employees. Unrealistic expectations. EVERY level of managements seems like they are only concerned about themselves and their agenda, and not listening to what is really going on. This is the real defiinition of a "leaner and more agile" Company.

Sherwin Williams has been around for a long time. So long, in fact, that upper management has become set in their ways and resistant to wholesale change, which is what is needed. Hire LESS middle management and get more employees on the floors selling. In fact, the company needs to consider eliminating a level of management. I'm sure that back in the 60s and 70s DMs needed to report to an entity closer than the VPs in Divisions. That time has passed. We have video conferencing, cell phones, email, and other tools made available 10+ years ago to better keep in touch. We have larger Metro Districts. I believe our esteemed Division VPs can handle direct reports from Metro Dms. This may put just a little cash back on the bottom line, allow good FULL TIME store personel to be hired, and possiblly push back that next ridiculous 7% price increase another year.

Encourage managers and reps to speak out with ideas, not beat them down with programs that do very little to foster real longterm business growth. Lurking in the competitions parking lot looking for prospects does not seem like it quite measures up to SWP's moral and ethical guidelines. We would not let our competition sit in our parking lot and poach. Guess "do unto others...." is passe now, too... I think we are better than that, and should act like it. Stop this absurd micromanagement. Have faith that the millions of dollars the company has invested in training for managers and reps might actually teach them something... LIKE HOW TO SELL AND DO THEIR JOBS!!!

If you are going to open stores longer and stretch hours, fine, so be it. But understand what it does to the store. We are supposed to do this with the same number of planned hours. No overtime. No over 32 for PT. Either the manager works 55+ hours a week, or the store is stretched very thin on staff and service suffers. What is being implied here is "it must get done", so the manager is getting the hours. Pay managers for the overtime or adjust salaries to reflect a 55 hour workweek. 10% raise would work. Fair is fair. DM's, CMs, reps, corporate, and credit do NOT work on holidays. So at the very least, lets compensate those that do. After all, stores are the backbone of the company, right?

And to finish....Thank your people. Very simple, yet goes undone. The words "thank you" at a district meeting or sales convention are obligatory. But that does not do it. Thanks comes from the heart, not because the back side of your P+L looks good. Reward ALL employees - Holiday Party, Fourth of July luncheon, golf, bowling, anything. Remember that most stores are doing a lot more with a lot less and it stresses everyone, especially when there is little praise. Here's one - the definition of "annoyed" is: Your boss coming in and saying "OK sales and margins are up.....but you only logged 1 call and your binder is not completed. You need to do better." Yea, OK, me and what staff??? Seriously??? Enough said....

Sherwin Williams still is a good place to work. But it used to be a great place to work, with a little fun thrown in. Fix it. Not hard really, just remember what it felt like when you ran a store or were a rep. And make the choice that shows that a multi-billion dollar company still cares about its employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams