How Things Change

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been with the PSG for 8 years now. The coworkers in the store are good people and easy to get along with. Over all my time with the companys has been good

Cons

In the last 4 years it has become harder and harder. Store employees are nothing but puppets for district managment. We are micro managed with zero focus. There is no drive for store employees. The company has a good bonus structure for store managment but it does nothing when you are up for the year and district mnagment raises your budget in mid december so you wont make budget and your bonus is gone.

As a asst manager when my sales are up, I am short staffed and busy it really demeans what I am doing when i get a call from a CM complaning the Lead gen calls are not done for the week. Do you want sales or 50 calls to answereing machines. Stop dumping more and more things on us in the stores that have no overall solution or way to be completed. Lastly be REAL with the employees stop playing games!

Other Reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Underpaid and overworked.

Current Employee - Driver  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Driver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Sherwin-Williams you can learn some really good practical knowledge about painting. They also offer a really good employee discount on some of the best products in the industry. You'll get a good work out too!

Cons

The physical workload can be overwhelming at times....delivering several hundred gallons of paint is physically taxing as each five gallon bucket weighs 55-70lbs depending on the product, and each bucket has to be hand loaded into and out of a van or delivery truck. The pace is frantic most of the time trying to service customers that want their product asap from overwhelmed stores. Advancement can be hard to come by as well.

Hire more people! Stores are running on a skeleton crew most of the time and are easily overwhelmed.

Not great for college grads

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great 401k matching, fairly easy promotions, good health benefits

Cons

Its retail. Be prepared to work weekends, odd hours, and generally a high stress environment. For a college grad, having to work behind a counter and where polo shirts with khakis can be a little demeaning. Retail customers are not a great crowd, and your commercial customers (mostly painters) can be a pretty rough crowd. Store hours and promotions are trying to compete with big name home improvement stores. They are going after the retail market, which means longer hours and less flexibility.

Honestly, don't go after college grads. They will constantly be on the lookout for something better. Instead, you should be focusing on training your full-time and part-timers to become good management. They are likely to respect and appreciate the job more.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!