There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Good company, good experiences to be had

Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student  in  Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Engineering Co-op Student in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sherwin-Williams is a big company with a lot of opportunity, strong growth and stability. They've been around since the industrial age and will be for quite a while as long as they keep their heads in the game.

I was a co-op student there and I learned a great deal from my mentor and co-workers. They were very flexible and understanding in terms of my school schedule.

This was in the heart of the recession and they saw fit to keep the research groups going strong so they would come out of it even stronger. I got to work with a wide range of innovative products and even travel a bit. I have since moved on of my own accord but I would go back if a suitable opportunity presented itself.

Cons

Typical office politics, so watch yourself in the same way you would anywhere else. Big Company corporate culture can be difficult to grapple with. The company is often driven by marketing (at least my group was) leaving employees to contend with a few ill-conceived products and projects. The words "what in the world are they thinking" came to mind a few times when dealing with marketing.

I left because my particular field was mechanical and not chemical, leaving me little room to move up at the time (they have since improved, so I hear). Chemists and Chemical Engineers can go far here, so can the folks with business degrees.

Keep an eye on the marketing folks, sometimes they overstep their bounds. With S-W's business being so dependent upon raw materials, petroleum products etc there could be difficulty in the future for such a large company as the world population grows. S-W will face increased competition for supply, markets and intellectual talent.

798 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Great Company, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, opportunities for growth, pay

Cons

Work/Life balance, stores being open until 8 at night

Corporate Greed is taking over.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fairly good health benefits and the Stock Purchase Plan (401K) is performing amazingly. Also, the credit union gives low-interest loans and offers low-interest credit cards.

Cons

The new management in the Southeastern area is either completely out of touch with the needs of the employees or they just don't care. We suspect the latter is true, given that nothing has changes since the "secret meeting" with HR from Cleveland a few months ago. The implementation of "Seal Island" now changed to "Sales Call Wednesdays" has brought manager morale to an all-time low. This extremely unethical strategy of "poaching" customers from the parking lots of our competitors along with the forced sales calls that all managers and assistant managers have to make and document have made running the store efficiently nearly impossible. To add insult to injury, any employee who doesn't comply with the plethora of new rules, regulations, and mandated tasks can be written up on the spot and this is being used by management as leverage to intimidate employees through fear of losing their jobs. This is a pitiful work environment that is unhealthy to everyone!

Get your heads out of your behinds. Negative reinforcement works to a point. Eventually if you keep beating the dog, he's gong to bite you. The bigger the dog (the more employees who "unite"), the more damage he's going to inflict.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!