Sherwin-Williams

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Winds of Change

Former Employee - Third in Fort Myers, FL
Former Employee - Third in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great company for many years. Good pay, honest work, and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Now the suits are beginning to micro-manage and destroy morale. Lately they are only promoting from outside... bringing in college grads with business degrees and ignoring employees that already know the business, the products, and the customers.

Let the store managers run their stores and replace them only if they fail.

885 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

A variety of experiences

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and vacation policies, holidays off and they provide all the tools necessary for the employees to be able to perform their job (laptops, blackberries, conference rooms with projectors, flat screen TVs and network connections everywhere (wi-fi as well) for better meeting experience). My job was extremely rewarding, I had always a great deal of work to concentrate on and continued to grow with every project/meeting/process. I had great co-workers, lots of laughter and chatter while at work, I give thumbs up to Sherwin-Williams for supporting such a relaxed atmosphere, it helps greatly reduce the stress from the work and allows for employees to 'mingle' while working to create great networks and build appreciation for the others around them.
    The dress code is business casual with most Fridays being jeans' day. Travel is exceptional, the company ensures that those on the road are safe and enjoy their trips. I had to travel within North America while employed there and all the accomodations, the arrangements and the trip were excellent!
    The fitness facility is not very new but nice, they offer to wash your clothes and provide towels. There is a tennis court by the R&D facility down by the river, open to all employees to use, can be scheduled months ahead of the season. There is a nice basketball court as well right next to it, it's nice to see people enjoying their lunch hour while getting healthy.

Cons

The growth opportunities are not many and sadly, those that exist get assigned for the most part to familiar faces and employees who network best, not necessarily those that have more experience or knowledge and are more qualified. However, HR is working on a competency matrix to resolve some of these issues and make the process easier and more fair.
    There is a lot of politics happening between the company walls, it reminded me of Survivor. It comes to that sometimes - play the game or be voted off, literally. Upper management is not always easy to approach and talk to. They seem to want to follow the 10-year plan w/o considering the fact that the employees (within their own organization) must come first else no plan will be accomplished.
    I had no 2-3-5 year plan, just a yearly review from my direct manager. If one has all the patience in the world and is not very driven to achieve great career goals, then that would be a good place for them. If you are looking for a clear career path into upper management, then you might have to pick another company. Like many have already mentioned, there are lots of 'baby boomers' and 'old timers' which is in one way good (low turnover rate) but also not so good because it doesn't allow for 'fresh blood' to come in to the company from outside or even from the entry level positions within the company.
    Boys club 101 is offered daily there, again - sadly!!! There are so many highly educated, qualified women stuck in either entry-level or Sr. (w/o direct reports) positions while the 'boys' around get a helping hand to move up surprisingly fast.
    HR - well, I think no reason to comment much, just that the company is as good with them as it would be w/o them. It appears they deal only with the hiring process and firing process, nothing else.

Listen to what the employees have to say, read through the lines in the yearly employee satisfaction surveys to find the best areas to focus your efforts on. I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best mentors/leaders while employed there but I also have had the opportunity to work with rude, self-consumed and 'how-in-the-world-did-you-get-this-job' type of leaders.
    Keep doing the excellent job you are in terms of company goals and strategies! But do not forget that in order to get there, you need the support of the employees which would only happen if they are satisfied with the job, appreciated, and rewarded properly (not all size-fits all rewards).

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company had an excellent work atmosphere with respect to dress code, work expectations, and deadlines.

Cons

I found nothing wrong while working for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams