Sherwin-Williams

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Money hungry corporation

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Ask way too much of their employees without giving them the staff they need to accomplish anything. Care nothing about the tenure of their employees. They have an "if you don't like it, quit" attitude bc they know they can hire someone new and pay them less. They don't really give raises at all anymore. Work 10.5 hour shifts every Saturday with no lunch break bc we only have enough employees to work two people and we are usually too busy to eat. Extended store hours but will not give you any more employees or key holders to compensate. Think that they can compete with lowes and Home Depot despite being a specialty store. Cap bonuses even though they are still putting your hard earned money in their pockets. They tell you to increase sales one day and then the next day, that's not good enough bc you didn't increase sales. Recently heard of someone getting promoted to full time but having their hourly rate cut bc sherwin didn't want to pay them more annually. Took away full time bonuses so now it is really hard to motivate employees to work hard. Even if they get promoted the raise will be marginal. I've never loved this job but now I hate it so much that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings. They force tenured employees out if they refuse to be yes men so that every one in upper management is just a corporate puppet. Basically turning management t employees into telemarketers by having them do 50+ cold calls a week on top of answering phone calls, unloading trucks, doing paperwork, helping customes, etc etc etc. I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes to eat my lunch during a week day. I am so exhausted every day after work that i have no social life. not to mention, I have worked pretty much every weekend and every holiday for the last 4 years. Do you think people are buying paint Christmas Eve or the on July 4? No they're not but they can bc we have to be there so that sherwin Williams can squeeze every last penny out of people. I am newly married and everyone is asking me about kids but i can't imagine having to juggle kids and this job. There are days i go in at 630 am and dont leave until 730 pm. No daycares are open those hours and my husband also works in retail. Ive heard stories about how the company used to care about and value their employees but those days are long gone.

Stop being so greedy and treating your employees like dirt beneath your feet. You would have nothing if it weren't for them. Your biggest asset is knowledgable employees and that is the only reason your able to charge your astronomical prices for your paint. Once all of your tenured employees have moved on, you may realize that you can't ignore them and strain them like you do. Nothing is ever good enough for you. You have one goal. Increasing that stock price, no matter the cost.

926 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Terrible company to work for.

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

The pay and the benefits are not bad.

Cons

Where to begin..Lets start with the unrealistic sales call system. This ties up the store manager and the assistant. The company preaches being proactive but then if any customer gets upset about anything you are supposed to drop everything and respond immediately to appease them. The customers are becoming spoiled and unrealistic but it does not matter even if it stretches your resources to there limits and beyond.

The attempts at saving money by cutting staff are ridiculous. It is also dangerous to keep one employee running a store by themselves. we climb ladders, operate lifts, handle hazardous chemicals but the numbers suggest that it is still okay to cut back on staff?

HR appears to be meeting their own quota and seeking to offer opportunities to those that are not Caucasian and male. This is of course just an observation based on opportunities that were offered to some people and not others but is worth mentioning for those looking to move up.

Companies management seems to promote favorites when not meeting quotas.

If constant multitasking, stress, taking on huge loads of responsibilities, getting blamed for things you have no control of and remaining bright eyed and bushy tailed through it all is something you enjoy then this is the job for you.

Take some hints.

Assistant managers should be able to focus on real customers who are present in the store and store operations versus meeting a weekly quota which is really a few hours devoted to lying in order to appease someone that is so detached from real store operations that they haven't got a clue. This point is especially true when the only correct answer you want to hear are success stories. Your employees aren't liars in most cases but that is what you are training them to do to succeed in your eyes.

Your attempts at saving money by cutting staff or by not hiring people to do the minuscule, time consuming tasks is futile. It raises employee stress levels and lowers employee morale. This effect is contagious and ultimately causes you to lose customers and money.

If this seems like its coming from out of the blue then I am not surprised. I don't think even your dm's and regional managers are honest about the feed back they hear from the grunts. They don't tell you what you don't want to hear.

The company culture is changing and not for the better. Striving to reach results that executives set without allowing the workers in all districts to offer honest feedback will not give the results you seek. You put such care in the Cleveland district that you seem to miss that things are different everywhere else.

Have a way of wearing you out. A way of using you up.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary is fairly competitive. The stock is performing well, though the profit comes at the price of the sanity of many field personnel.

Cons

This company is full of good people; some great people. Hard working folks who genuinely want to do a good job for the company they work for. People that run like hell trying to cover all the bases in the stores they work in and manage, and instead of being rewarded for doing it, they are flogged for failing to toe the line on one of the 74 different metrics that are constantly in play as a layer over an environment where there's a customer coming in or calling an average of every two and half minutes. It makes me wonder if the tasks we expect of our store and field staff, staffed the way we characteristically do (short by our own design and admission) are grounded in reality at all. It seems more likely they are just meant to give something to whip us about.

I wish it mattered now. The advice offered in these boxes might get heeded ten years from now if the new idea adoption curve runs on time.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams