Sherwin-Williams

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Great Entry-Level Job

Current Employee - Sales in Newark, OH
Current Employee - Sales in Newark, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive Market
Plenty of room for advancement

Cons

Excessive work load from spring til fall

971 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

Not a good experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent pay for out of college
    -Benefits were ok

Cons

Where to begin...
    -Very unrealistic store expectations. Assistant managers have to make 30 lead generation calls a week while running the store by themselves. Managers have to do weekly "Seal Island" calls where they have to basically stalk potential customers in Home Depot and Lowe's Parking lots...really??
    -The stores are open 7 days a week and only closed 4 days during the year, so expect to work holidays and weekends (including 4th of July, Memorial Day, Christmas Eve, Labor Day, & New Year's Eve). Very bad work/life balance.
    -Understaffed stores, it's typical to work 12 hour shifts by yourself. Part-time hours have been drastically reduced so there is not as much part-time help available. This leaves Managers and Assistant Managers working by themselves most of the time.
    -44 hour work week rather than a typical 40 hour workweek, those extra hours really do add up!
    -Heavy lifting that can consist of 100+ pounds
    -It can take awhile to advance with the company and you have to be willing to move around

I suggest college graduates to do research before taking an offer as an MTP with this company. You can find something so much better!

Upper management really needs to keep in touch with store level employees. The company only seems to care about profit rather than the employees which has been leading to lower employee morale.

Money hungry corporation

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Ask way too much of their employees without giving them the staff they need to accomplish anything. Care nothing about the tenure of their employees. They have an "if you don't like it, quit" attitude bc they know they can hire someone new and pay them less. They don't really give raises at all anymore. Work 10.5 hour shifts every Saturday with no lunch break bc we only have enough employees to work two people and we are usually too busy to eat. Extended store hours but will not give you any more employees or key holders to compensate. Think that they can compete with lowes and Home Depot despite being a specialty store. Cap bonuses even though they are still putting your hard earned money in their pockets. They tell you to increase sales one day and then the next day, that's not good enough bc you didn't increase sales. Recently heard of someone getting promoted to full time but having their hourly rate cut bc sherwin didn't want to pay them more annually. Took away full time bonuses so now it is really hard to motivate employees to work hard. Even if they get promoted the raise will be marginal. I've never loved this job but now I hate it so much that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings. They force tenured employees out if they refuse to be yes men so that every one in upper management is just a corporate puppet. Basically turning management t employees into telemarketers by having them do 50+ cold calls a week on top of answering phone calls, unloading trucks, doing paperwork, helping customes, etc etc etc. I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes to eat my lunch during a week day. I am so exhausted every day after work that i have no social life. not to mention, I have worked pretty much every weekend and every holiday for the last 4 years. Do you think people are buying paint Christmas Eve or the on July 4? No they're not but they can bc we have to be there so that sherwin Williams can squeeze every last penny out of people. I am newly married and everyone is asking me about kids but i can't imagine having to juggle kids and this job. There are days i go in at 630 am and dont leave until 730 pm. No daycares are open those hours and my husband also works in retail. Ive heard stories about how the company used to care about and value their employees but those days are long gone.

Stop being so greedy and treating your employees like dirt beneath your feet. You would have nothing if it weren't for them. Your biggest asset is knowledgable employees and that is the only reason your able to charge your astronomical prices for your paint. Once all of your tenured employees have moved on, you may realize that you can't ignore them and strain them like you do. Nothing is ever good enough for you. You have one goal. Increasing that stock price, no matter the cost.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams