Well Run Organization

I worked at Sherwin-Williams (More than 8 years)

Pros

Financial powerhouse, stable, reliable, great senior management, huge talent pool, great work life balance, advancement opportunities available with relocation

Cons

lack of ability to be creative, no a lot of decision making ability, lots and lots of structure, more focused on how you look than what you have to say.. .. not competitive base salaries...

Advice to Management

Find ways to let your employees make more decision, loosen up on the controls and trust your managers

reviews filtered by
  1. Decent place to work

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Upper management really cares about the right things and does a good job of growing the company and business. Everyone in the organization is very approachable. From the sales clerks to the CEO. Stock keeps going up, and the company has great retirement plans.

Cons

It is easy to earn more elsewhere which makes stability in some positions an issue.

Advice to Management

I have none. I can't imagine the many decisions they have to make. From my perspective they seem to be making them quite well.

Store Personnel Great! District personnel not so much

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the work I did, the pay was ok, better than working in a grocery store or at Walmart. Everybody I worked directly with or interacted with that was associated with the company was great.

Cons

I graduated college and have a job offer at a competitor for a full time management position. District Manager told me "they'll work you to death over there, you should stay with Sherwin". When I asked what kind of offer he had for me, was told to stick around as a part time employee and see what developed! What a joke!

Advice to Management

Get District Managers who are in touch with reality. and if you're gonna lead by looking at numbers look at numbers that mean something. You're cash 2 charge promotion? You hammer the stores for not converting the list of preapproved accounts, when you have one store that has 21 to convert, half of which are accounts for different stores, the other half are a local franchise that has a national account through the parent company, and other stores have only 1 preapproved account to convert. No surprise then, when the store with one preapproved account gets it converted to a charge account you sit and praise their hard work, yet the other store has opened 15 new charge accounts, none of which were preapproved, in the same amount of time, and you harp on them to do better.