Exciting

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern

Pros

Fast paced work environment, good benefits, caring co-workers

Cons

Stores are understaffed and long hours for managers

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst. Job. Ever.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. I really can't come up with anything else. Good employees? Now I'm stretching...

Cons

If you are an Assistant, or looking to become one, please... save yourself. Quit, or don't accept the position. In the district I currently work, we are required to do 60+ sales calls a week. Also, management is gung-ho about getting email addresses from DIYers. This is all find and dandy, until you make me call them and ask for their email address. That, my glassdoor friends, is soliciting. There is no way to sugar coat it. Management has effectively made the position of Assistant Manager into a glorified telemarketing manual laborer. This is not management. This is not putting my college education to use. This is retail hell. And for the love of sweet baby Jesus, HR... please stop boosting the overall rating for this company. There is no way that this company deserves 3.4 stores. Be for real.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you know what's going on in your stores. You either A. Have no clue or B. Don't care and keep piling on the work anyway. It's time for a reality check. You are burning your work force out. You will soon have incompetent newbies running a muck. The backbone of Sherwin is customer service. "Ask us for answers." Your help are not going to know the answers. I give an assistant 2 years MAX before they move on and find something better. The economy is recovering. Wake up.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people @ store level Good benefits Successful business

Cons

Sit down kids I got a story to tell you.....not to long ago there lived this company that respected its employees and customers. This company would bend over backwords to ensure the employees were happy because they knew this would lead to customer satisfaction. The shelves were filled, bathrooms were clean, warehouses were organized and believe it or not managers got days off and worked less than 60 hrs. Then one day an evil shadow descended onto the company. First, the tenured employees that helped build the company and could recall the good times were banished, replaced with jesters that think closing at 7 on weekdays and 6 on weekends, working July 4th and having 4 super sales opened til 8 is the norm. Next, the powers that be decided to attract more DIY customers. The investors loved it and cheered throughout the kingdom. But wait. How would these demanding, time consuming, 'me first' attitude customers be handled? With more employees you say......wrong. Staffs had been reduced to nothing but a skeleton crew. Who would have guessed that more employees were needed to handle not only additional hours and DIY but also deliveries, manual tinting of oil paints, custom matches, 100 gallon orders, 50 lead generation calls, etc, etc. Managers worked well into the night but could never get ahead. Finally, after months of working 15 days on 1 day off schedules, cutting hours while sales were up 30% to comply with obamacare, and spending less and less time with friends and families, people began to revolt the only way they new how, by leaving. 20 yr employee, gone. 10, 15yrs....you guessed it gone and gone. 5 yrs 7 yrs gone. The final chapters of this story are a long way from being written but I truly wish the best for this company. I gave my heart and soul for almost 20 years.

Advice to Management

Look at the loyal, knowledgable, hard working people you are losing. Remember when you had employees staying with the company for 5, 10, 15 years? You are forgetting the little things like Christmas parties, spring picnics, etc. Quit trying to fill quotas. First 13 years of service 2 woman assistant managers in 30 store district. Last 2 years 16. Stop!! This is a very physically demanding job and with no staff and young lady who can't lift 50 lbs who suffers? If you answered the managers back and customer service you are correct