Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com
  www.sherwin-williams.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams

Demanding and not so glamorous but with definite room to grow

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

They hire from within, and hire management with happily leave you alone as long as you and your store perform.

Cons

it is essentially a sales job with the added responsibility of having to run an often under staffed store. This makes the job much harder than it needs to be

Staff the stores better so the 'sales' can be given the focus you ask for. Oh and pay store management appropriately for the hours they are forced to put in.

885 Other Employee Reviews for Sherwin-Williams (View Most Recent)

CollegeIntern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern

Pros

Sherwin-Williams is an outstanding company. There's room for growth at every level and just about every management position is brought up from within. My summer internship with them was a good work experience and the people in the store were great to work with and not really any issues with them
    -Shadowing the sales reps was always fantastic. One thing I really liked about the program was hearing everybody's different perspectives on the companies and the ways they do things that can translate to being more successful in the store.
    -For someone coming on full-time, would definitely recommend if you can put the time in. Internship program needs help.

Cons

-I was interviewed/hired by the district manager and after I started, I spoke with him for maybe 5 minutes for the 12 weeks I was there. I know he's a busy guy, but it made me feel like a part-timer more than an intern to not at least get a follow-up on how everything is going. After all, the internship program IS designed to be a starter to their full time MTP program, so why would I want to return to a company where I don't feel like they care one way or the other if I come back after I graduate? It puts the store managers in a tough position to have an intern that they've never met be placed in their store and be solely responsible for their growth in the program.
    -Heavy lifting might be tough for some
    -Learning the product is extremely difficult and, again, there were some crossed lines between the district manager and my store manager. In my interview, the DM told me not to even worry about learning the product, but life in the store is extremely tough if you don't know how to help people. To learn, they have you do "training CDs" with all the right info and quiz you on it, but often times I would be doing these CDs for several hours at a time (when I started the only other thing I knew how to do was restock shelves) and it was really ineffective.
    -Managers are always working really hard and running around doing what they need to, so getting them to fill/help out with stuff in the packet can be understandably tough.
    -I wrote a paper and activity for my intern project, emailed it to corporate, and never got any feedback/follow-up on it.

Open your lines of communication between DMs and managers regarding interns. Set realistic expectations before they start so everyone can be on the same page. My DM visited our store halfway through my internship and wondered why I wasn't accomplishing goals that my team and I didn't even know were set. Clarity and transparency makes everything easier.

Great company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for promotion. Great managment team. Lots of seasoned employees.
    Fun working environment. Benefit package is very good.

Cons

Many people are put in positions before they are trained properly affecting customer service. Appraisal process is odd.

Show more appreciation to your teams. Work to change the appraisal process.

There are newer employer reviews for Sherwin-Williams