Shimmick Construction

www.shimmick.com

Work Hard, Play Hard - If you like being single

Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Coworkers really do step out to help you if you're struggling. Many times I felt like I was in over my head, but never thought I was alone. Everyone answered my questions and did what they could to help me out. Truly great internship experience. Far better than what I've heard from many friends working for other companies. Really cool projects, lots of challenging work.

ConsExpect to work 55 hours a week, and commute 45 minutes to and hour and a half each way for work. This is fine if you are single and like being single, or you're used to this lifestyle. Being a Midwestern boy going to school in Colorado, even one summer of this schedule really wore me out. Coworkers told me what they make, and even with a fairly good benefits package it doesn't seem competitive for California.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying your people more. The cost of living is so high in California, paying Field Engineers the same as Heavy Civil companies pay them in Colorado seems really stingy and not at all fair.

Wish i was still there

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction

Pros: Good company culture, relationship between upper management and field personnel Cons: Typically bid with too high of margin in So. Cal.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Lots of opportunities/responsibilities/stress to be anticipated

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Shimmick Construction

Pros: Shimmick Construction provides great opportunities, a variety of projects with new challenges,… Cons: Shimmick claims they value a work-life balance, but that would depend on the type of project and role you were given. They… More
There are newer reviews on Shimmick Construction.

Worked for Shimmick Construction? Contribute to the Community!