Work Hard, Play Hard - If you like being single

Former Employee - Engineer Intern  in  Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Coworkers really do step out to help you if you're struggling. Many times I felt like I was in over my head, but never thought I was alone. Everyone answered my questions and did what they could to help me out. Truly great internship experience. Far better than what I've heard from many friends working for other companies. Really cool projects, lots of challenging work.

Cons

Expect to work 55 hours a week, and commute 45 minutes to and hour and a half each way for work. This is fine if you are single and like being single, or you're used to this lifestyle. Being a Midwestern boy going to school in Colorado, even one summer of this schedule really wore me out. Coworkers told me what they make, and even with a fairly good benefits package it doesn't seem competitive for California.

Consider paying your people more. The cost of living is so high in California, paying Field Engineers the same as Heavy Civil companies pay them in Colorado seems really stingy and not at all fair.

Other Reviews for Shimmick Construction

Wish i was still there

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction

Pros

Good company culture, relationship between upper management and field personnel

Cons

Typically bid with too high of margin in So. Cal. market

Lots of opportunities/responsibilities/stress to be anticipated

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Shimmick Construction

Pros

Shimmick Construction provides great opportunities, a variety of projects with new challenges, and a welcoming team of engineers and managers that genuinely enjoy working together.

Cons

Shimmick claims they value a work-life balance, but that would depend on the type of project and role you were given. They may be growing fast, which may lead to lack of focus on employee development that would otherwise be provided at a smaller firm.

There are newer employer reviews for Shimmick Construction.

Worked for Shimmick Construction? Contribute to the Community!