Shoe Carnival

www.shoecarnival.com

A place to get started.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsShoe Carnival was a great place to get started. I learned a lot of information and gained valuable skills very quickly. When things are going well, life is good. There is great opportunity for advancement, at least at the store level. If you want to move up, you just have to show interest and work hard. Communication is fairly good so there is never a time when you are not sure what to be doing. There are reports giving details of every aspect of the business. There is also a sense of ownership with managing a Shoe Carnival. If business is slow there are lots of outlets for building relationships with the community and trying to increase sales.

ConsThe main downsides of this company involve compensation and hours worked. The pay for hourly managers is low for the industry and salary managers work long hours. The requirement for a salary manager was fifty hours at the time. This was a minimun and often managers had to work more hours. The pay was simply not enough to merit working so many hours. There are also periods of mandatory six day weeks. These usually coincide with holidays. Managers were expected to come in at the drop of a hat and were also expected to be on call at any time of the day. While the company does give managers a lot of vacation time, there are extensive periods in which vacation can not be used.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover, at least in my area, among managers was huge. Good people are a company's greatest asset. Promote and keep the good people. Allow more time for life outside of work.

Horrible Management

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros: The fellow sales associates and cashers were nice and fun… Cons: I was hired with the promise of full time and told that I would be made the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Lots of things to do at the shoe carnival

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: If you pay attention you can get trained well in lots of different aspects of retail: customer service of course but also in merchandising,… Cons: Company does not provide any additional payroll for training new employees. Also very far behind when it… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Shoe Carnival.

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!