There are newer employer reviews for Shoe Carnival

An overall enriching opportunity from a company that is still learning, itself.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Evansville, IN
Current Employee - General Manager in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros

A good opportunity for professional growth.
Store management is given access to good sales data and tools. I cannot be specific, but access to sales data is solid.
The company is financially responsible, lending to job security.
Human resources is decent.
Managers that are eager and consistent have a good opportunity to develop many important business operations skills.

Cons

For people above store level management, the environment appears to be negative and unrewarding, lending to a uneasy feeling about 'climbing the ladder' further.
Recognition and feedback from senior management is rarely communicated at the store level beyond a newsletter.
A few initiatives have been good in theory but lacked proper execution or came into fruition too late.

Stay in touch with stores, both on morale related feedback as well as feedback about store operations. Trust in your regions to identify specific trends and needs. Consider the unusual and always look at the positives as well as the negatives.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Shoe Carnival (View Most Recent)

A place to get started.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Shoe Carnival was a great place to get started. I learned a lot of information and gained valuable skills very quickly. When things are going well, life is good. There is great opportunity for advancement, at least at the store level. If you want to move up, you just have to show interest and work hard. Communication is fairly good so there is never a time when you are not sure what to be doing. There are reports giving details of every aspect of the business. There is also a sense of ownership with managing a Shoe Carnival. If business is slow there are lots of outlets for building relationships with the community and trying to increase sales.

Cons

The main downsides of this company involve compensation and hours worked. The pay for hourly managers is low for the industry and salary managers work long hours. The requirement for a salary manager was fifty hours at the time. This was a minimun and often managers had to work more hours. The pay was simply not enough to merit working so many hours. There are also periods of mandatory six day weeks. These usually coincide with holidays. Managers were expected to come in at the drop of a hat and were also expected to be on call at any time of the day. While the company does give managers a lot of vacation time, there are extensive periods in which vacation can not be used.

Turnover, at least in my area, among managers was huge. Good people are a company's greatest asset. Promote and keep the good people. Allow more time for life outside of work.

Horrible Management

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros

The fellow sales associates and cashers were nice and fun to work with

Cons

I was hired with the promise of full time and told that I would be made the mike person but instead my hours were dropped to less than 20 a week and never moved up

There are newer employer reviews for Shoe Carnival

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!