Shoffner Mechanical

Unequality At Shoffner Mechanical

Current Employee - Plumber in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Plumber in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Shoffner Mechanical

Pros

Some of the reasons for working at Shoffner include our benefits program. After six months of employment they will reimburse you for up to $100.00 for boots, $75.00 for pants and spply you with free work shirts ( t-shirts for summer and long sleeve for winter) along with sweatshirts and once every three years they will provide a pair of insulated coveralls or insulated jacket. The insurance benefits are not bad either except for the cost. They offer Health,Vision,Dental and Long Term Disability along with Short Term Disability. One week paid vacation after one year and then two weeks after five years. They also have a 401k that has a discretionary contribution at the end of the year.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Shoffner is that it is the same as everywhere else in Knoxville Tn. Get what you want when you are hired in or you will have to fight to get it after you are hired. It's not what you know it's who you know or who your daddy is or uncle or other family memeber that might be working there.There is also a big discrepancy in their pay scale with some people getting per diem and others not. Some make 18 to 19 dollars an hour with no responsibility while others make 22 to 23 dollars an hour. Some people benefits are paid while others are not.

They preach teamwork at Shoffner Mechanical but it is very clear there is no team. The electricians and upper management are treated as gods and then you put that garbage in our newsletters telling all the worker bees that the company made over $70 million dollars and field bonuses were in excess of $270,000. You should start spreading some of that wealth. The numbers that are put on paper for bids by the estimators are imaginary until we make it happen in the field and then you have the superintendants who stay in the trailer or sleep and then you have a foreman that really does nothing besides get in the way. All of these employees get bonuses and are taken care of while the workers are treated as tools and when one breaks it is tossed in the broken pile and replaced with a new one. YOU SHOULD TAKE BETTER CARE OF THE PEOPLE CARRYING THIS COMPANY! It's too bad people won't stick together or we would organize and then you would be forced to treat us fairly.

2 Other Employee Reviews for Shoffner Mechanical (View Most Recent)

Unacceptable

Former Employee - Plumber in Marion, VA
    Former Employee - Plumber in Marion, VA

I worked at Shoffner Mechanical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A large mechanical contractor that furnishes a paycheck to maybe hundreds of people in the area.
    Must be doing something right on jobsites that I am not familar with or else they could'nt continue for the long haul.

Cons

I guess you can't rate the total company based on one team but one bad team continuing to perform bad can and will eventually bring a company to it's knees. This team performed very poorly
    in quality, ethics and failure to follow codes, building specifications and best practices in the plumbing/mechanical industry and this was in the "healthcare sector".

My advice is for this company is to manage this particular team very close and inspect site with knowledgable people.

There are newer employer reviews for Shoffner Mechanical