There are newer employer reviews for ShopKo Stores

Great place to gain friends and experience

Former Employee - General Merchandise Supervisor
Former Employee - General Merchandise Supervisor

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Shopko is perfect for high schoolers, college students and retired people as the schedules are flexible and asking for time off is almost always granted and are always allowed to switch shifts. Our store was great about adjusting availablities and accomidating. Training for teammates is very good and detailed. "Star service" promotions are nice and used to give teammates rewards like gift cards for good work. There is a great system in place for freight, backstocking and filling. Employee discount is very nice to have.

Cons

Employees were praised but it was usually the supervisors that would praise teammates- not management meaning it wouldn't be remembered when yearly review time was up. Middle managers and supervisors get all the blame when things "go wrong" on the store level and the store manager hardly takes responsibity. Department specialists need more credit as they do a ton of work and develop relationships with customers.

Give supervisors more credit because they're usually the ones doing the work and encouraging teammates. Let all teammates give imput on how the store does things and let teammates survey their managers.

170 Other Employee Reviews for ShopKo Stores (View Most Recent)

ShopKo Stores Review

Current Employee - Apparel in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Apparel in Rochester, MN

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Great Coworkers, may have relaxed atmosphere, some freedom during job

Cons

Bad management, pushy-ness from managers to sell epps and sign up customers for loyalty cards, rumors about management, uninformed about a lot of changes made and the products that we sell, along with loyalties and epps.

Respect employees, understand stressful situations

Overall, a very flexible place to work part time.

Current Employee - Electronics Teammate in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Electronics Teammate in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

The discounts and overall great employee base. I have not worked at a Shopko store that I did not enjoy working with the other employees. I like that it isn't just about working with other employees as many Shopko employees are friends outside of work and are active in sports and other activities as a group. There is somewhat of a bond between employees that goes beyond just working together.

Cons

The pay isn't that great when part time or not in a supervisor position and raises don't occur as often as at other places but a yearly raise is given based on evaluation.

Get new store planning people! Planos are never right. There is always clearance in them and some sort of a change that needs to be made for one reason or another.

There are newer employer reviews for ShopKo Stores