Not bad for a department store.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Eau Claire, WI
Former Employee - Cashier in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management was friendly and the coworkers were nice. It was a fairly relaxed environment. The hours were very flexible.

Cons

The store was next to a bad apartment complex and some interesting customers would come in regularly. The break room was kind of gross.

Other Reviews for ShopKo Stores

Lack of communication

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Shopko is a clean, well-maintained big box store. Good assortment of products.

Cons

Expectations regarding the procedure for calling in sick were not clearly communicated. I work in the pharmacy and was not informed (until I actually called in sick) that I was expected to contact other technicians myself to see if someone could fill in for me. The pharmacy and optical department seem to operate as a small,separate entity even though it's under the same roof.

Communicating all expectations clearly would save all teammates from added stress.

Could have been better.

Former Employee - Service Desk/Customer Service Specialist  in  Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Service Desk/Customer Service Specialist in Bend, OR

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best things about working at Shopko was the co-workers...they do have an environment where it seems that everyone becomes friends and that does make it easier to get up an go to work. I was able to move up while I worked there from a service desk employee to a customer service specialist so that was nice to have some added responsibility and sense of accomplishment, but the raise that came with it seemed quite insignificant. They also have really good clearance prices...things got lost a lot when I worked there so the prices kept going down all the time. Employees were usually able to snag those items before customers. I got a set of 4 cool bar stools for $4 each once.

Cons

Management. I worked there for a year and our store went through 3 store managers in that time (was looking for the 4th when I quit), at least 3 sales floor managers, 2 apparel managers, and 3 front end managers. None of them ever seemed to care about their jobs and a majority of them were rude and talked to employees in a horribly condescending way. It was very unorganized and difficult to even start one task before another manager was coming up asking you to do something else. There were never enough cashiers scheduled and customers would always be angry that they had to wait so long. When cashiers would try to call employees from different departments to come help check, typically nobody would come up, which just made matters worse. Unless you are under 18, if they want you to stay late, you better be ready to say yes...I had a number of occasions where I had prior plans after work that I had to cancel because my managers would not allow me to leave at my scheduled time off. When I worked there, the employee discount applied to everything, but as I understand it, they no longer do that so your discount will only apply to certain items.

Just get it together...try to all be on one page. Also, it would be lovely if you could have some empathy for the people you are managing and speak to them with a little bit of respect. This was a first job for most of the people working there when I did and weren't born knowing what it means to have some responsibility...but that doesn't mean they can't be taught and/or don't care to learn. Give direction in a clear manner and make sure people know when you want out of them rather than delegating a task without much explanation and then getting mad when it's not done to your liking.

There are newer employer reviews for ShopKo Stores.

Worked for ShopKo Stores? Contribute to the Community!