ShopKo Stores

www.shopko.com
  www.shopko.com
There are newer employer reviews for ShopKo Stores

Good company but doesn't compensate employees regularly.

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great for an independent worker, self-starter. Very little micro management of your time.

Cons

Lack of consistent raises and performance reviews.

Thank your employees once in awhile. Tell them good job, well done, etc.

183 Other Employee Reviews for ShopKo Stores (View Most Recent)

A "Wannabe" Department Store

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delavan, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delavan, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you grew up in the area and are local you will receive favortism, especially if management attended high school 40 years ago, with your father.

Cons

Blatant favortism. Leaving a shift at 10PM to return at 5AM. Not being paid for time spent sitting in your car, up to 10 to 15 minutes while closing manager calls alarm company to confirm Shopk buliding is fully/properly armed.

Delavan store needs store manager to take off blinders to see how poorly upper management staff treats employees. Customer service/apparel manager treats employees like they are cattle/pack mules especially when unloading weekly truck. Supervisors are not encouraged to be innovative and are basically puppets of store manager. No yearly hourly or salary increase for employees in 2014, yet told to expect to work even harder than 2013.

Not a very good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and easy hiring process. It was a pretty decent environment, socially speaking. Management was actually pretty friendly.

Cons

Horrible hours (possibly because it was a seasonal position where they hired quite a few new people): My very first two weeks were actually the most I ever worked there-about 20 hours. After that, hours kept declining.

Business was going downhill (might be location dependent?): Apart from the occasional rush hour, business was pretty slow. Us employees ended up just standing there most of the time, waiting to reel in the next customer. A lot of friends who live in the area said they just don't shop there anymore.

Poor communication: After the holiday season ended, I noticed I had no hours scheduled the next two weeks. This had happened before so I wasn't too worried. I actually wasn't notified at all about how they weren't keeping me as a regular employee until I called my hiring manager, who was in charge of scheduling, where she then proceeded to check a list in order to see if I was still working. Shouldn't the manager know this kind of thing?

Too much hiring: As I said, I had horrible hours here. Even if that was just because of the seasonal hiring, they shouldn't have overcompensated on their employees. I actually felt bad that us new kids were screwing up the hours of the more experienced people while we were getting treated badly ourselves. No one came out on top.

Keep up the good attitude and friendliness towards employees, but work on actually communicating with them on how they're doing within the company. Tell them their strengths and weaknesses to help them become a better worker. Get reasonable with hiring. Don't hire a whole bunch of new people when you don't have the customer base to do so and end up giving everyone, old and new, bad hours.

There are newer employer reviews for ShopKo Stores