Shoppers Drug Mart

www.shoppersdrugmart.ca
  www.shoppersdrugmart.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Shoppers Drug Mart

Absolutely loved working at shoppers

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scheduling was great, flexible, great pay (for a co op student). Growth was good too

Cons

None, no problems whatsoever at Shoppers

Keep doing a great job!

330 Other Employee Reviews for Shoppers Drug Mart (View Most Recent)

Each store is different - no consistency in p/t shift hrs, discount, training, transfer opportunities - need to reapply

Current Employee - Front Store Cashier to Supervisor - Never Happened in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good first job. If you are a seasoned employee coming from another retail/customer service position be prepared to start at minimum wage, entry level position with little training to a cliquish, favoritism and nepotism type of environment.

Cons

- Excellent training is sacrificed to keep costs at a minimum by working to your shift allowance - no working 5 to 10 min extra to learn a procedure
    - Supervisors are not hired as supervisors with people skills. It is a natural progression after working 2+ years. I witnessed a 19 year old coworker promoted to supervisor because she was the longest standing front store cashier in the store
    - High turnover

Keep stores consistent with training, discount availability, refund policy, store shift hours with a central HR to raise questions, concerns, I understand each store is a franchise under the Shoppers Drug Mart banner but it is frustrating for employees as well as customers when we receive inconsistent information. Also stores do not talk to each other.

Throw the dice.

Former Employee - Cash Manager in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cash Manager in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes, if you work for one of the few good stores, you're treated like a valuable person. This doesn't usually happen.

Cons

In my experience, most of the managers have too much control over how they treat their people - most of the stores have a reputation in their own and their neighbouring communities for violating labour laws, breaching privacy policies, wrongful terminations, and/or overall disrespect and lack of professionalism on the management's part. I've worked for one great store, and two horrible stores run by tyrants who thrive on establishing themselves as the all-mighty power that holds your fate - you're usually talked to as though you're lucky to still have your job at Shoppers Drug Mart. Human Resources is unheard of - head office makes no attempt to enable employees to voice their concerns.

People are what built this company from the ground up - they deserve more than an annual morale survey that gets zero results. They deserve head office to take human resources seriously and mandate "Respect for the Individual." That's a policy Wal Mart takes very seriously - say what you want about Wal Mart - it's a FANTASTIC place to grow because they seek out the potential and see value in every employee. I've made more progress pursuing a management position there in 6 months than in over 6 years at SDM.

Also. Don't eat the food - Most of the stores I've seen / worked in don't follow their rotation/expiration guidelines. They often fail to monitor the endcap freezers (the ones not remotely monitored by Sandcastle). And they don't train their merchandisers on food handling techniques. I've seen more mouldy, freezer burned, and expired returns than I ever care to see again, at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Promote from within - I've been told by your managers that up to 80% of your store managers come from Wal Mart or Home Depot backgrounds, despite that you have an internal "LEAD program." As a corporation who requires top talent to develop and grow your business, you have a responsibility to develop top talent within your organization, and reward the loyalty of your many dedicated employees who passionately work hard to improve your business -despite your embarrassingly low probability of them ever developing a decent career through your LEAD program.

There are newer employer reviews for Shoppers Drug Mart