tough times

Former Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

great pay and benefits if your full time support from managment of course depends on your particular store and how its run, you can't rate shoppers as a chain based on one store

Cons

timekeeping system is to finiky and tends to lead to an hour or two loss on paychecks the pos system is ancient major cuts and job losses right now due to recession and generic drug issue pay for cashiers to low

Advice to Management

every managment team is different depending what store you are at. Managment has to follow corporate rules, some staff do not like the changes but its out of the store's hands.

Other Employee Reviews for Shoppers Drug Mart

Infinity Nightmare!!

Current Employee - Technician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

The 30% discount is a big plus.

Cons

Low pay. Little recognition for a job well done. The Infinity Program implemented in the pharmacy is a total waste of time. Every technician that I know within SDM is looking elsewhere for work because Infinity has made their lives a living hell. Lack of meal of breaks. Low morale. Greedy Associates.

Advice to Management

Stop this Infinity nonsense and get back to making Customer Service our #1 priority in the pharmacy!! This program was supposed to make our jobs more efficient they said. Bullocks!! Why did Head Office create this overbearing, unrealistic, robotic program? Time will tell if this thing will work for the benefit of employees and customers alike. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and lucky to have a full-time job with this company considering the state of our economy. Infinity's flaw is that it doesn't take into account how much time we spend on the phone with doctors or patients, the countless OTC questions. We barely have enough time as it is to meet the needs of our customers let alone whether or not Infinity is being followed!!! If for any reason you think otherwise, I invite you to spend a day in the pharmacy and watch your brainchild at work!!

Great Part Time, Otherwise It Sucks

Current Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

30% DISCOUNT is awesome. It's hard to get fired from this place. If you're working on the front-end of the store there's very little physical work involved, it's mostly a high-volume problem solving and smile-at-old-people job.

Cons

Franchised pharmacy chains are a strange environment. There are some things corporate controls that make life rather tedious for the front-end employees and middle management. It's not a job to do full time, cause it will piss you off.

Advice to Management

Crack down on policy, procedures and study the paperwork of all departments with a fine-tooth comb to ensure accuracy. Review security camera tapes regularly and start firing the staff who are either stealing from your stores or aren't doing enough to secure them from patron theft. Then you might be able to afford a few more hours on the schedule to let your managers get some actual management and quality assurance done.