Shopzilla

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla

Pros

Technical management (and management generally) is very supportive of trying new technologies when a good argument can be made for them. Engineering and business have a good cooperative relationship -- I've never felt that engineering concerns fell on deaf ears from the business folks. Because things do move fast at Shopzilla, engineers at Shopzilla, particularly self-motivated ones, get a lot of opportunities to make an impact on the business. In many ways, it's like a start-up in the pace of change, but with greater stability (and already profitable). Perhaps different from a start-up, there's a healthy mix of seasoned employees and new kids on the block.

Additionally, though like all workplaces, Shopzilla has its cliques, you do not need to participate in them to succeed. I have rarely had the time to schmooze with any of my co-workers, I have a life outside of work with its own demands and being down with the "cool kids" in my workplace is the furthest thing from how I want to spend my time, but I've always felt that there are plenty of opportunities here.

Cons

Traffic in West LA sucks. The parking lot is always jam-packed. There is a fair amount of institutional lore that you need to soak up in short order when you start working here. Work is hard, sometimes it makes my brain hurt.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Shopzilla (View Most Recent)

Shopzilla provides a fun place to work but the ratio of QA to dev is unbalanced which makes the QA workload very high.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla

Pros

*Learn the latest industry trends for QA
    *Learn many new QA technologies and frameworks
    *Fun place to work at times

Cons

*Industry trends implemented are not proven technologies
    *Each team does non-standard QA practices (makes the ramp up time for transitioning from team to team very high)
    *High turnover of employees
    *If you do not have a dev background and don't want to program do not work here
    *Expect QA to be heavy on automation
    *Expect QA to be heavy on development skills (isn't that dev's job?)
    *Very high workload - (8 hour days are unheard of)
    *Food is catered in - (industry trick to get you to take shorter lunches and increase productivity)

Please standardize the QA across teams so there is one unified way of performing QA. QA productivity would be higher if you separated QA Engineers from QA Automation Engineers. There is just not enough time for a good QA leader to learn years of dev knowledge if the workload and pressure is high.

Stay away, not worth it.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla

Pros

Free lunch, free sodas. Good for contractors. Used to be very good place to learn new technology.

Cons

The workload has increased since the company was sold to a private investor a year ago. The new owner is outsourcing the IT organization to India, as much as possible, while business is not growing. The management team is a tight clique. They are caring more about their own rewards and promotions than anything else. For example bonuses are only for management, progressively higher with rank, on top of already higher base pay. But management is also territorial with each other. There is not much collaboration, but more and more politics and blaming. I think the company culture is backward. It favors a top-down hierarchy of the type of " the highest paid person in the room is always right". Not surprisingly the employee turnover is ridiculous, just about everybody is thinking about leaving. The many negative reviews here only show the tip of the iceberg, with the occasional rebuttals by HR or the folks who feel criticized just providing more evidence of the situation. This place is in real trouble!

Stop putting yourself above the people who are earning your paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for Shopzilla