Great company so far

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Jolla, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Free lunch. Laid back. Great work-life balance. Friendly people.

Cons

Commute - had I known that I had a two hour round trip commute, I would not have taken the job. Lots of legacy code. Legacy hardware - I was given a four year old laptop - I'm a Java/J2EE engineer. My personal $650 laptop is like 8 times faster.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Other Employee Reviews for Shopzilla

Great opportunity

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Technical management (and management generally) is very supportive of trying new technologies when a good argument can be made for them. Engineering and business have a good cooperative relationship -- I've never felt that engineering concerns fell on deaf ears from the business folks. Because things do move fast at Shopzilla, engineers at Shopzilla, particularly self-motivated ones, get a lot of opportunities to make an impact on the business. In many ways, it's like a start-up in the pace of change, but with greater stability (and already profitable). Perhaps different from a start-up, there's a healthy mix of seasoned employees and new kids on the block. Additionally, though like all workplaces, Shopzilla has its cliques, you do not need to participate in them to succeed. I have rarely had the time to schmooze with any of my co-workers, I have a life outside of work with its own demands and being down with the "cool kids" in my workplace is the furthest thing from how I want to spend my time, but I've always felt that there are plenty of opportunities here.

Cons

Traffic in West LA sucks. The parking lot is always jam-packed. There is a fair amount of institutional lore that you need to soak up in short order when you start working here. Work is hard, sometimes it makes my brain hurt.

Shopzilla provides a fun place to work but the ratio of QA to dev is unbalanced which makes the QA workload very high.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

*Learn the latest industry trends for QA *Learn many new QA technologies and frameworks *Fun place to work at times

Cons

*Industry trends implemented are not proven technologies *Each team does non-standard QA practices (makes the ramp up time for transitioning from team to team very high) *High turnover of employees *If you do not have a dev background and don't want to program do not work here *Expect QA to be heavy on automation *Expect QA to be heavy on development skills (isn't that dev's job?) *Very high workload - (8 hour days are unheard of) *Food is catered in - (industry trick to get you to take shorter lunches and increase productivity)

Advice to Management

Please standardize the QA across teams so there is one unified way of performing QA. QA productivity would be higher if you separated QA Engineers from QA Automation Engineers. There is just not enough time for a good QA leader to learn years of dev knowledge if the workload and pressure is high.