Shopzilla

There are newer employer reviews for Shopzilla

An overall disappointment

Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers at the lower to mid levels, good location

Cons

Company direction changes almost quarterly, company wide layoffs at least once a year, revolving door at the executive level, very poor search results for the heart of the business, very reactionary business decisions instead of looking to innovate, low pay compared to industry standard, promotions are extremely hard to come by

Time to move on

88 Other Employee Reviews for Shopzilla (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, could use some improvements

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed culture/environment, nice people (like a family), free lunches and cereal breakfast bar, flexible work schedule, low cost health benefits, amazing events/contests, casual dress attire.

Management in general is very open and friendly. Often times you forget they are your bosses or execs because they are very approachable and they'll listen to what you have to say. They are transparent about their business contrary to what some reviews say; they have short semi-weekly company-wide meetings to talk about company growth and innovations, which is informative and gives you an idea of what other teams are working on.

The engineering team is full of talented and dedicated people. We work as a team and most people won't hesitate to help another out.

Cons

Business usually understands some of the technical things that need to be done even if it doesn't add immediate business values, but that is not to say that as engineers, we don't sometimes struggle to get our technical debt addressed. While some areas of our business are very innovative, well maintained and well documented, we also have other areas where we have to deal with some old legacy code and systems that are not so well documented that has to slowly be transitioned. It is all a matter of which team you are working with.

Another con is that, it seems teams do often change, making you switch gears. However, that is a sign of innovation since our company does change focuses. Despite the recent layoff, I still believe that the company will make their comeback as we are making improvements in different areas of the company.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time

Pros

Shopzilla is like a family. The people here make it a great place to work and the fun events make all of the hard work worthwhile.

Cons

Teams are run lean - you may have to do more work than your peers at other companies, but it is worth it in the end.

Listen to those below you. Lead without being bossy and let the ideas flow.

There are newer employer reviews for Shopzilla