There are newer employer reviews for Shopzilla

An overall disappointment

Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers at the lower to mid levels, good location

Cons

Company direction changes almost quarterly, company wide layoffs at least once a year, revolving door at the executive level, very poor search results for the heart of the business, very reactionary business decisions instead of looking to innovate, low pay compared to industry standard, promotions are extremely hard to come by

Time to move on

86 Other Employee Reviews for Shopzilla (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, could use some improvements

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed culture/environment, nice people (like a family), free lunches and cereal breakfast bar, flexible work schedule, low cost health benefits, amazing events/contests, casual dress attire.

Management in general is very open and friendly. Often times you forget they are your bosses or execs because they are very approachable and they'll listen to what you have to say. They are transparent about their business contrary to what some reviews say; they have short semi-weekly company-wide meetings to talk about company growth and innovations, which is informative and gives you an idea of what other teams are working on.

The engineering team is full of talented and dedicated people. We work as a team and most people won't hesitate to help another out.

Cons

Business usually understands some of the technical things that need to be done even if it doesn't add immediate business values, but that is not to say that as engineers, we don't sometimes struggle to get our technical debt addressed. While some areas of our business are very innovative, well maintained and well documented, we also have other areas where we have to deal with some old legacy code and systems that are not so well documented that has to slowly be transitioned. It is all a matter of which team you are working with.

Another con is that, it seems teams do often change, making you switch gears. However, that is a sign of innovation since our company does change focuses. Despite the recent layoff, I still believe that the company will make their comeback as we are making improvements in different areas of the company.

Started out very good, and ended with a down-sizing

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Shopzilla full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts, lunches, and good benefits. Lots of social events to participate in. Shopzilla has a good reputation in the software industry for producing excellent software engineers. Fast paced, energetic can-do folks who practice the latest best software development principles.

Cons

Executives are not transparent about the company health in their business meetings so that layoffs catch the affected off guard. Since Symphony bought the company, a number of the old-time execs left the company. Symphony promised to overhaul and propel the company into a leader of the comparison shopping space, but performance did not meet expectations and downsizing was probably inevitable. The business model suffers a conflict of interest: clickthru rates (money) vs quality search results for the consumer. Google changes have also reduced organic traffic, and the poor economy also contributed to the company stress.
    I don't see a good prognosis for the future. I expect employees who do not want to experience a layoff to search for alternative employment.

The job market for software engineers is still hot despite the ecomomy, so, if you can afford to retain the people you have, do your best. Laying off folks will lead to bad reviews. It really must be a last resort. Good luck keeping the morale up.

There are newer employer reviews for Shopzilla