There are newer employer reviews for ShoreTel

One of the better companies I worked for as a contractor

Former Employee - Technical Support in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Technical Support in Fremont, CA

I worked at ShoreTel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best of coworkers, the work environment wasn't too stressful.

Cons

It was a contractor position, I didn't get a chance to work there longer.

Advice to Management

None really

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Too much bureaucracy, not enough recognition...

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShoreTel

Pros

Immediate management tends to do a good job of letting you alone to do your job. The product is fantastic, and there's no better place to learn it than the manufacturer. You can see vestiges of the start-up mentality, but they're fading.

Cons

Management promises seem empty. I was promised a promotion within two years of hire, and so far nothing. Despite holding top 10% productivity scores, politics seems to get in the way. I got a whole lot of flack from coming in +/- 10 minutes from my "official" start time, even though I consistently worked 55+ hours a week, lead the team in customer satisfaction scores, mentor new employees, and write half of the knowledge base. That seems to me to be a confusion of priorities and a lack of recognition of actual work.

Salary is significantly below expectations, thought benefits are decent and stability seems positive. Lots of buzzwords

Advice to Management

There's a real vested interest in promoting people and providing mentorship, but it seems hollow; despite all the talk and all the meetings, I've still gone nowhere. The recent acquisition of M5 seems distracting and not inline with our goals - we're a manufacturer, not a service provider, why are we buying in the "cloud" game? Stock price has consistently gone done; that tells me we're doing something wrong, and I can tell you that the rank and file haven't changed. Perhaps, then, it's the way you're running things?

2. Strong underdog mentality with team working hard to gain share against our much larger competitors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ShoreTel

Pros

Fantastic product that is superior to other solutions on the market. The company is continuing to experience growth and evolve through changes. Peter Blackmore (new CEO as of December 2010) has brought about positive changes in the strategy and vision of the company. Generally speaking, everyone seems willing to contribute to the overall success of the company. There are a number of really great individuals at the company.

Cons

I have consistently heard that the compensation package isn't the most competitive and this should be addressed. This is particularly important when recruiting sales staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer frequent updates to the employees on the strategic goals and the progress made toward the goals. It is important to secure buy-in from all parties and keep them informed to the progress.