There are newer employer reviews for Shred-it International

A reasonable place to work for a year or two.

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Shred-it International full-time

Pros

Working outside and on your own much of the time. Very good sales managers and district sales managers in my territory. The company is conscientious and does a very good job in the context of the document shredding industry. Very good team work among the sales staff, account management staff and the service managers and service people. On a moment to moment basis it was fairly fun, but you have to enjoy cold calling. For the most part you work 8:00-5:00- you won't be working 'till 7:00 a normal night.

Cons

When they are interested in hiring you they will quote a salary range for your position and then when you receive the actual offer it will be the exact bottom number in the range. (Advice- tell them "no" and you will usually get more money.) Car allowance is inadequate if you have a geographically large sales territory- you will not receive enough compensation for the miles you drive (but the company keeps on adding fuel surcharges to customers to cover Shred-it's costs.) Salary is adequate for the midwest or smaller cities but if you are married and have kids and live in a major city your spouse will need to work as well. Commission program is not very good. The bonus program is awful. Revolving door for sales people. The sales role was presented to me as hunter role but it's not- it's a farmer/catcher role principally and whether you meet your numbers or not really depends on your territory and whether you will receive enough call in inquiries. (Example: if your territory includes lots of large law firms you will be in a good position. ) The company changes sales strategy with the wind. 1)We always shred on site and our service is worth a premium. 2)A few months later- we will match any price. 3)We are now offering extensive offsite service. Higher service frequency increases revenue. 4)Lower frequency saves us money. Here is the minimum service price.... It never ended- constant often changes in sales guidelines, often completely contradicting the previous guidelines. Lastly, in the regional offices there is really no opportunity for career growth, no next position to aspire to. Competitors are often much less expensive and they do the same thing- they shred paper. (This isn't rocket science.)

Develop a better commission plan. Reward your salespeople. Pay a higher base salary and the revolving door my spin much slower. Develop long-term sales guideline which can be counted on by your salespeople.

67 Other Employee Reviews for Shred-it International (View Most Recent)

Great Place to work!!!

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Shred-it International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom is great and they treat you with respect..

Cons

Service and Billing and owned by investment company...

They're fine...just know that they are controlled by an investment group....

Very Enjoyable - Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at Shred-it International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Little to no turnover, Diverse co-workers from all walks of life
    After work team building exercises on Monday's, Tuesday's, Thursday's and Fridays
    Attractive - friendly well put together MGT at least in the Miami branch,Get the job done
    mentality spread throughout - almost infectious

Cons

At the end of the day your not curing cancer, your selling a grey box that holds paper.
    You must come to terms with that on day 1 or you will be in for a world of hurt

Occasional meetings about when they were going to hold meetings

Sales are more important than fake appointments, don't inquire how
    the sales came to be - Just be glad they did!

There are newer employer reviews for Shred-it International

Worked for Shred-it International? Contribute to the Community!