There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly

Growing company with a great work environment that sells fun products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company successful, stock has doubled in last 12 months, growing quickly (recently acquired key competitors like Kodak Gallery, Tiny Prints and My Publisher)
- Strong leadership team. CEO in particular is passionate about the company and has a strong vision
- Great work environment. Smart, driven people who set aggressive goals and work hard to achieve them. At the same time, work/life balance is good. Very team-oriented (as opposed to cutthroat) and collaborative environment. People here are fun to work with.
- Good opportunities for career growth. Since the company is growing and because there are multiple brands, there are opportunities to shift around and try different things or move to another brand.
- Because we focus on photo-oriented products and are so consumer-oriented, work is way more fun (as opposed to selling widgets)
- Compensation seems as good or better than comparable companies

Cons

- If you live in SF, like I do, the commute can be miserable

Advice to Management

- Organize shuttle service to and from the city, as more and more talent is choosing to live in the city and commute remotely (e.g., Google, Facebook, EA, etc.)

reviews filtered by

Exciting Start, Disappointing End

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very nice and smart people
    Some nice gestures from HR i.e. celebrating important days of various cultures
    Free snacks & drinks
    Nice office

Cons

High level of politics (one would never imagine the level ! )
    Very unfair promotion policy
    Unclear career path (or no path at all)
    Not fair bonus policy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer I in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer I in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, good benefits, some nice perks at work (currently at least), "pay for performance" type of rewarding scheme - so you get quarterly bonuses based on performance, plus official & unofficial raises can happen which can include additional RSUs awarded. Unofficial raises are what I call ones that get you more benefits without a formal promotion. Benefits in terms of salary, health benefits, stock options, 401k are comparable to good companies. The vision plan covers transition lenses for free, and dental plan covers braces for adults up to $1500. Perks include free snacks and free drinks at work, some form of gym. Good culture includes having several company events a year for celebration, and quarterly & monthly all hands meetings.

Cons

401k has no employer matching left out in favor of "pay for performance" rewarding culture.