Shutterfly

www.shutterfly.com
There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly

Shutterfly: You'll work hard and never get ahead, but the benefits are decent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Shutterfly attracts high-caliber talent -- you'll always be surrounded by great co-workers. They make excellent, best-in-class products. The company operations are managed responsibly and thoughtfully. Shutterfly gives back to the community. The benefits and perks are good, compared to other similar companies. Corporate HQ is centrally located for an OK commute from most places in the Bay Area.

Cons

The executive team does not always see eye-to-eye on company strategies, and has been shuffled a good deal in recent years. Cross-departmental communication and cooperation is a definite challenge. Turnover is above-average. Expect a working environment that fosters long-hours, high-stress, and too many unproductive meetings.

The organization seems extremely top-heavy, or bottom-light -- depending on your point of view. Directors and Executives seem to spend too much time in the weeds, and don't get to focus on strategy, while Managers and Associates struggle just to get work done every day between way too many meetings. Cross-functional communication and workflow issues are a huge barrier to success -- consider building smaller teams with members from multiple departments to execute on smaller, faster projects. And staff up accordingly. Finally, focus on stability in the executive leadership and a truly unified vision.

200 Other Employee Reviews for Shutterfly (View Most Recent)

How you talk - that is waht matters NOT what you talk.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Company based on a good social concept. Many employees are smart and capable. You get a lot of small perks like picnics, games, cookies etc.

Cons

Top Management except perhaps the CEO and CFO do not seem passionate about the company. They are hands off and clueless about how the company runs. So many sycophants under them have made this company their haven. You need not know what happened to walk away with the biggest prize in All Hands meeting. All management positions are almost always filled from outside. There is no scientific analysis of the effectiveness of the promotions and discounts, there is no cost-benefit analysis of the projects. Everything seems to work well on auto-pilot.

You have stopped thinking creatively. There are too many VPs and Directors. There is not enough to do for them. Go by one-strike rule for the top management. Aggressively review the hiring and retention at the middle management level. One third of your workforce does not contribute anything, do you know that?

Shutterfly rocks!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

We have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

Cons

As a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Continue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly