There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly

How you talk - that is waht matters NOT what you talk.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - IT Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Company based on a good social concept. Many employees are smart and capable. You get a lot of small perks like picnics, games, cookies etc.

Cons

Top Management except perhaps the CEO and CFO do not seem passionate about the company. They are hands off and clueless about how the company runs. So many sycophants under them have made this company their haven. You need not know what happened to walk away with the biggest prize in All Hands meeting. All management positions are almost always filled from outside. There is no scientific analysis of the effectiveness of the promotions and discounts, there is no cost-benefit analysis of the projects. Everything seems to work well on auto-pilot.

You have stopped thinking creatively. There are too many VPs and Directors. There is not enough to do for them. Go by one-strike rule for the top management. Aggressively review the hiring and retention at the middle management level. One third of your workforce does not contribute anything, do you know that?

reviews filtered by
  1. Shutterfly rocks!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

We have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

Cons

As a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Continue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

A good place to learn, but not so hot for a long-term career

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun products.
    Young and dynamic corporate culture.
    Chance to learn Web 2.0 methodologies.
    Located in sunny Northern California - a great place to live.
    Free and discounted photo gifts - good if you take lots of photos.
    Free drinks, cheap snacks.

Cons

Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match.
    Career advancement plans / goals are left to the employees to figure out. Management does not offer any advice or encouragement in this area, other than "do it yourself".

Strengthen the benefits package, especially the bonus scheme, and start to match 401K contributions.
    Create a work culture that offers a clear path for employees to learn and take on more responsibilties, rather than expecting them to figure it out all on their own.

There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly