Shutterfly

Shutterfly rocks!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

We have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

Cons

As a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Continue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

191 Other Employee Reviews for Shutterfly (View Most Recent)

A good place to learn, but not so hot for a long-term career

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun products.
    Young and dynamic corporate culture.
    Chance to learn Web 2.0 methodologies.
    Located in sunny Northern California - a great place to live.
    Free and discounted photo gifts - good if you take lots of photos.
    Free drinks, cheap snacks.

Cons

Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match.
    Career advancement plans / goals are left to the employees to figure out. Management does not offer any advice or encouragement in this area, other than "do it yourself".

Strengthen the benefits package, especially the bonus scheme, and start to match 401K contributions.
    Create a work culture that offers a clear path for employees to learn and take on more responsibilties, rather than expecting them to figure it out all on their own.

Fun culture, but needs to improve career development system

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Creative, passionate co-workers who strive hard to create beautiful and good products.
    Good work/home life balance.
    Believe that employees are the best advocates of the brand and the products - free and discounted products.

Cons

System of promotions is unevenly applied and flawed. System to apply bonuses is flawed.
    Not really a culture of telecommuting. Should be more eco-friendly policies and practices.

The system to apply bonuses is just off. Plenty of people do a great job and deserve greater proportion of their bonus --- but other teams erroneously give out 5s, skewing bonus distribution for the rest of the company. Also, HR should be better informed of promotions and talking to the appropriate managers for promotions of the people they supervise. There are those who have be here for over 3 years and have never received a promotion, while those who have been here a year get one right away. I understand that some positions open up and create an opportunity, but there's needs to be a system and plan created that encourages employees to continue to build skills and talents and that career opportunities beyond their currently job title is possible.

There are newer employer reviews for Shutterfly