I worked as an intern at Siemens

I worked at Siemens

Pros

People are very smart. The environment is good.

Cons

Some time the project is too tight.

Other Reviews for Siemens

Good and bad, you got both!

Former Employee - Staff Scientist
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist

I worked at Siemens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1, We do challenging projects on solving real world problems which trained ourselves very well.
    2, nice collaborating colleagues (most of time), but some annoying shark style colleague ready to make trouble for you (sometimes)

Cons

1, At my time of joining Siemens (Siemens Corporate Research), it was the 2nd best industrial research lab (next to Microsoft Research), and No. 1 in medical imaging industry. (Yes we are more comprehensive or more academia reputable than Philips and GE). We still did more scientific style research which has real big impact on the product development for years to come. Not anymore, management are more short sighted, on the way becoming another GE! More engineering or re-engineering oriented type of development which is not good for the true type of scientist.

2, More importantly, this company simply runs on almost no principles of modern management. Some more senior managers with respectful good leadership can be removed over the night, which makes people see their future. Upper management tried to prompt younger guys for better control. Too much politics!

3, The space of rewarding for everyone is quite tight which makes a lot of unnecessary fights among different groups. You have to be a "wolf in the wall street" to survive, without wall street pay.

4, If you do good and achieve well, normally nothing will happen. Your manager can be praised instead of you due to their proper leading efforts. But if you screwed up once out of 10 times (if you are always dealing with challenging problems), you will be screwed and blamed, not your manager.

5, This company is not equal-opportunity. You have to be a German to potentially have a career path. My former group had >50% turn-over rate within a year.

This company became less and less attractive to the top level of talents. If nothing will change, Siemens will settle with 2nd or 3rd level working force! Trying to squeeze them more with more rewarding does not work in any modern western society.

Size & Quality of management prevents them from being the technical company they were.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Siemens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability. People are rarely fired, even for poor performance. Management is never fired or demoted only shuffled into different positions. If you want a mediocre international career for 40 years and can say "yes" to everything asked of you, this is the place for you.

Cons

401K (a match of 6%) and Medical (50% contribution) lags behind their competitors and even smaller companies. Paid vacation is average (start at 15 days a year). Management is horrible! I had five managers I was responsible to for one project. They were not flexible regarding work times even during family medical issues. I received requests from management not to document off-process conditions and procedures as well as "to do whatever necessary" to meet certain deliverable dates including violating Siemens' own procedures.

Time for some serious G&A reductions! The company is no longer a true technical innovator; listen to their advertisements: "40% of our employees have technical jobs" & "PARTNERING" with companies to develop the innovations of tomorrow. Completely remove deadbeat managers and start treating your employees like you care. There are some really intelligent and hardworking people still at the company, but you will lose them all quickly if you don't give them the recognition and development they deserve and continue a culture of cronyism.

There are newer employer reviews for Siemens.

Worked for Siemens? Contribute to the Community!