Sierra Club

www.sierraclub.org
There are newer employer reviews for Sierra Club

My internship was educational, but there was much more potential for a well-rounded experience.

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sierra Club as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate people, strong national network, effective campaigns.

Cons

SF headquarters office is not a very dynamic work environment, no strong sense of community in office.

Future interns would benefit from a more comprehensive introduction to the organization and its work. There are so many facets to the Sierra Club and its internal structure, but rather than gaining an understanding of this I was thrown into menial tasks without being introduced to the context of my work. Although I learned much more as I went along, I think there is a lot of potential for a great internship experience at the Sierra Club if interns are offered more learning opportunities and networking opportunities.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Sierra Club (View Most Recent)

Work alongside a plethora of genuine, unique people, passionate about a common goal.

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Sierra Club as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Communal and inviting culture, top notch training, interesting work, relatively good pay when compared to other non-profits. Instant coffee machines pump out quality espressos for those who need a 2pm "pick me up." Biking to work is celebrated and encouraged (and a few of the regional offices have showers/locker rooms)!

Cons

Salary not quite competitive with private sector -- but that is to be expected. Pets often allowed in the office, so maybe not the best environment for allergy sufferers.

Needs to focus on employee well being

Current Employee - Field Organizer
    Current Employee - Field Organizer

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This organization has wonderful people working for it who are passionate about their work, smart and motivated. It is great to have the national resources they provide, and the work is interesting.

Cons

Poor work/life balance! I have worked at several non-profits, and it is the most frenetic. It feels as though it is hard to do anything truly as well as I would like, as there is too much to do. Organizational culture is to work around the clock because the cause is so worthy.

In addition to your environmental top goals, have some top goals that are frequently communicated and measured related to employee well-being, such as retention rates, rates of satisfaction with job, etc. If you do not, you risk burning out employees quickly which is not sustainable for the organization. It is also expensive.

There are newer employer reviews for Sierra Club