There are newer employer reviews for Sigma-Aldrich

Worst place to work in St. Loius - Welcome to the dark ages! RUN!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

Full benefits, decent salary, stable company, very diiverse portfolio, great stock price.

Once the "lifers" leave the company, this might be a great place to work. (Too many people that have been there too long and have the attitude of "this is how we have always done it" instead of embracing new ideas.

Great marketing and communication department filled with great people.

On-site cafe. Free parking for downtown company. Metrolink nearby.

Close to all major highways.

Biotech area is more progressive

Cons

The systems are out of date. They use Lotus Notes.

The corporate office is a scene right of the 1950's - the senior execs are all men with one token women who has great ideas but can't get them past the old boys club. The executive support staff is managed very poorly and they are treated like children and they are expected to be submissive. Don't even think of entering the executive area without an invitation uless you want to be treated horrible by most of the support staff.

They do not value process improvment or fresh ideas. The HR department is a complete joke with a few very quality people sprinkled in but they can't change the system. This trickles down from the worst HR leader imaginable. They have a very vague anti-harrassment policy that they don't follow. There are only 4 diverse managers in the company (less than 1%).

Gain the experience you can and then run, run run!

Replace your HR leader, update and expand your anti-harrassment policy and follow it. Retire the lifers that don't want to embrace news ideas or change.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Sigma-Aldrich (View Most Recent)

Good company to be involved in...as a stockholder, not employee

Current Employee - Scientist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Scientist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

Aldrich provides pretty good relocation benefits and a pretty decent work-life balance. I was generally able to take a day off when I needed to. It's a very stable company with good profits.

Cons

They make you pay back your entire relocation benefits if you leave within two years which is very unusual in the industry but might be the companie's way of "retaining" employees. Salary is very low compared to other companies and the benefits are just average. The work is not very exciting and there is nothing high-tech about the company.

Invest more into employees or otherwise it will be very difficult to retain talent. Created a more exciting work environment.

Not a good place to Work (Miamisburg)

Current Employee - Scientist in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Scientist in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

Its a very good Company to work but the side I am working ( Miamisburg) is totally mismanaged. Most of the managers and staff have no knowledge of chemistry. Sigma is trying to send some good talent but not those are not geting chance, and they are leaving this place.

Cons

Tell me where in the world a Ph.D and having number of years Experince and publications, patents reporting to B.Sc. More over those B.scs don’t even know what they are doing but pretending they know more then Ph.D. Miamisburg R&D and production both are some. Some good talent is their but not getting chance to make the changes.

You are spending so much money and time to bring talent to this side. I think you should send some one from the corporate side to watch this unit and get feed back from the employee. Also give the opportunity to inside talent those who want to contribute with good chemistry knowledge.
    In my knowledge Miamisburg side is worst side in sigma-Aldrich .

There are newer employer reviews for Sigma-Aldrich