Sikorsky

Going downhill fast

Engineer (Current Employee)
Horseheads, NY

Prosinteresting products - high tech
big name company with a lot of "street" credit
highly experienced & helpful line workers
usage of many different top of the line design programs

ConsI started working here at about the same time as Sikorsky took over the facility from Schweizer Aircraft. At that time it was run as a small close knit community where people were actively working together to achieve a single goal. Some times we reached that goal, some times not. Usually when we didn't it was because of over optimistic promises made by upper level management. Over the last 5 years the work environment, policies & procedures have changed so rapidly that the employee's no longer know what the companies goal's for the location are. Or maybe they do, just are unwilling to accept them. As a result the employee's stopped working as a unit & started working with a CYA attitude. A combination of factors have lead to serious layoff's at this location.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employee's & foster teamwork. They are good, hardworking people. Slow down & include them in your thought process. To them it looks like you are in the process of shutting down this location. As long as they see it this way they will be preoccupied with CYA activities instead of looking to do whats best for the company. Keep expectations realistic. If you deliver the materials for a product that is supposed to take 9 months to complete 6 months late it will NOT be completed on schedule. Be honest with the customers. If you can't get the material until Sept for a product that takes 9 months to complete do not promise delivery in Dec. Compensate your employees equally at all locations. I understand it is more expensive to live in Stratford, CT then in Horseheads, NY but not $20,000/yr less. That is the average pay discrepancy between Stratford & Horseheads. Besides look at the work product of the individuals at this location. They are carrying significantly more responsibility then their counterparts at Stratford with similar experience.

Great place for engineers interested aviation and/or rotor craft.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky

Pros: Good Pay Good Benefits Large Corporation amenities: decent cafeteria, also recently got a brand new… Cons: Location (although inevitable in aviation industry) Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Amazing

Intern (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky

Pros: Learning how helicopters are made is awesome, who would not… Cons: I did not get much help with relocation and did… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sikorsky.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sikorsky reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sikorsky CEO Mick Maurer . All reviews posted anonymously by Sikorsky employees.