Silgan Containers

www.silgancontainers.com
  www.silgancontainers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Silgan Containers

Silgan is a highly recommended employer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Silgan Containers

Pros

Silgan is a great company with an excellent management team. Tom Synder is the new President and he knows every aspect of the company, working his way up the ladder to become CEO. People are respectful to each other throughout the organization. Leaving was a big mistake and I would love to return to work there one day.

Cons

Not very progressive, as most manufacturing companies are. If you work there too long, you may not be up to speed with the newer technologies other companies are using.

Work harder to keep the excellent employees you have and try to come up to speed with new technologies. There are one or two senior managers who just don't know how to retain good employees.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Silgan Containers (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

A lot of training opportunities for mechanics

Starting to move towards new and progressive technologies and business strategies

Asks for and takes feedback well

Cons

Upper management is very "old school" and tends to do things the way they were done 20 years ago

Many plants are in great need of updated equipment

No interplant communication

Arrange for multiple plants to get together and share ideas. Reduce the "Us vs. Them" mentallity when it comes to management and the union

Just started at Silgan and made 70,000 in my first 10 months. Training is non existent. You learn by yourself.

Current Employee - Line Mechanic in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Line Mechanic in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of overtime !! The older workers can refuse OT. They ask if you want it. You can make a lot of money .

Cons

Management is horrible. They treat you like a 10 year old. No respect at all from upper management. Lower tier managers , micro manage your work, they have no idea how to repair any machine but 3 will hang over you and try to tell you what to do. They are paper smart, Computer smart but they don't know what a 3/8 wrench is. They have never had their hands dirty !! EVER !! You are forced to work on holidays!!

BUY SOME PARTS !! There are no replacement parts on hand. We fix machines with rubber bands and tie wire sometimes. REALLY!! You can't make cans if there are "NO" parts to fix a machine. If a machine brakes down , you have to wait till they order a part. We have had a machine down for 3 days because the part was not there .Ridiculous !! We were told that upgrades on the plant will cost 37 million dollars, but I can't get a 25 cent part ??? Fill out a requisition form in triplicate , submit it to management and you never hear another word. Safety doors are tied shut with rages and rubber bands !!!

There are newer employer reviews for Silgan Containers